Venlafaxine and sleep patterns

Posted , 13 users are following.

Started taking venlafaxine yesterday morning. Was worried about having nightmares but I wasnt asleep long enough to have nightmares so I needn't have worried.

I am a long term user of fluoxetine, recently changed to mirtazapine as fluoxetine no longer effective. Mirtazapine chosen because I wasnt sleeping. However weight gain on mirtazapine was so great changed to venlafaxine. Does anyone know if this restlessness and broken sleep pattern is likely to improve over the next few weeks?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

[quote:df76a46740=\"cd990003\"]Started taking venlafaxine yesterday morning. Was worried about having nightmares but I wasnt asleep long enough to have nightmares so I needn't have worried.

I am a long term user of fluoxetine, recently changed to mirtazapine as fluoxetine no longer effective. Mirtazapine chosen because I wasnt sleeping. However weight gain on mirtazapine was so great changed to venlafaxine. Does anyone know if this restlessness and broken sleep pattern is likely to improve over the next few weeks?[/quote:df76a46740]

I have been taking venlafaxine for just over two months and my sleep has become disturbed, I've suffered from this problem for many years and was also prescribed mirtazapine this time last year which resulted in me having the best regular sleep that I've had for many years and feeling like a normal person - go to bed, go to sleep, wake up in the morning, function normally! The downside was weight gain and my pdoc recommended I change from citalopram & mirtazapine to just venlafaxine,this is my fourth change of medication within the past year! Am now taking venlafaxine, zopiclone for sleep although these aren't very effective and diazepam!

• Posted

Hello ash

I have been on venalafaxin for 8 months, started on 75mg plus then had to take Temazapan to help me sleep at all, then venalafaxin was increased to 150mg and I then had to take regular Diazapan to reduce the side effects that occured for several weeks, doctor never mentioned any of this. They wanted to increase my venalafaxin to 225mg when I last saw NHS Psychiatrist, I said I want to get off them so I am working down much to their dissaproval to get off hopefully, still take Temazapan to help get off to sleep. Hope this is of interest ash.... All the very best....Rob

• Posted

Hi

I can not decide whether Ven is doing me any good. I am om 150mg and have been for about 6 weeks. On my last visit to the GP he said that was thinking of putting me up to 225mg. I have days when I am really up and the life and soul of the party and then other days I feel dreadful and wonder what it would be like not to be here and battle through the day!

Is this normal to feel so up and down? This is my second major bout of depression in 5 years. This has lasted over 6 months this time and it doesn't feel that it is going to end any time soon.

I am having difficulty sleeping, which I am finding very frustrating. I have always been able to sleep any where and now I feel tired all the time and want to sleep.

I keep thinking that I am making all this up and it is all in my head. Everyone keeps telling me how well I look but in relatity I feel that I am walking on a tightrope and depending on which way the wind blows depends on how I feel.

Does the depression lift at some point? Do I really need to go up to 225mg? Does the need to drink disappear? Is it Ok to have morbid thoughts? I feel that this is endless.....

• Posted

I started on Ven 150mg slow release approx 4 weeks ago after citralopram 60mg and quetiapine(as required) for about 1 year. I have suffered night sweats and strange dreams for the last couple of weeks but the last 3 nights I have started itching and having really strange feelings in my legs hands and arms and am really struggling to sleep because of it. I don't know how to describe them really, only that I want to keep clenching my fists shaking my arms and standing up to reduce the strange feeling in my legs. Today has been worse as I have had it in my hands all day and it is starting to really bug me.

Does anyone else seem to have anything similar????

I have read lots of posts on this site now and want to stop taking the Ven.

Please reply if you concurr.

• Posted

The strange feelings are one of the known side effects; see the leaflet with the tablets. You may be better on the regular tablets rather than the long life; I know they are supposed to be the same but from my own experience I know that they are not. Using the regular tablets you will be able to better monitor when/whether the 'irritable leg syndrom' occurs and take action eg take tablets early evening rather than bed time say. It can also be an indicator that your dose is higher than it needs to be and with tablets you can amend that much more easily. Hope this helps; get the tablets changed!

• Posted

My sleep patterns have been turned upside down since I started this med. I hardly get a few hours sleep at night but as usual the doctor says that it will pass (months now).
  • Posted

Hey there,

I have been wondering also because I started on Ven last night and I had a really bad nights sleep usually I can't get to sleep but then I sleep through all day, but with the Ven I got off to sleep fairly quickly but kept waking up and tossing and turning but the upside is I got up at a normal time this morning which is good for my self esteem but I am hoping the bad sleeping patterns won't stay around for a long time as I feel a bit like a zombie already :S

• Posted

I've been on 37.5 mg Venlafaxine for 3 months and it has stabilised my moods tremendously but i am suffering from insomnia as a result of it. The insomnia does get slightly better over time but is still a problem. My GP has recommended that i take my dosage first thing on a morning which i'm trying now.
  • Posted

Wow, after reading these comments, why was I just prescribed Venlafaxine to help my chronic insomnia??? I am totally confused now! Apparently it causes insomnia...
    • Posted

Hi there i too had chronic insomnia and was prescribed venlafaxine

?I havent slept properly since ive tried clinicians sllep science magneium suplement and i cant fall asleep i take a sleeping pill at 1am and hope for the best

?I have taken sleeping pills for 6 week now which is bad

?My doctor isnt much help i went to another doctor who prescribed me another antidepressant to take in the evening that causes sedation (in some and insomnia in others) (nortriplyne) I was too scared to take it

?Ive been on Venlafaxine for 3 weeks now it has been a hard road with side effects sweating loss of sex drive thoughts of suicide etc

• Posted

Hi Ian,

I ended up after afew days of taking venlafaxine with pneumonia. So I had to stop taking the Venlafaxine and concentrate on getting better… The pneumonia was probably caused from being rundown because of lack of sleep. How are you making out now with sleep? Are you taking sleeping pills in addition to the Venlafaxine? I started the Venlafaxine again 3 days ago and I am wondering if the side effects are worth it??

• Posted

Hi, just wanted to know what side effects you are having as it is suggested i stop sertraline (because of side effects) and try venlafaxine.  I am disillusioned as tried a few, nothing works.
    • Posted

Were you prescribed it to help with insomnia or depression? The side effects I have experienced after just taking it for four days now, are sweating and feelings of nausea and some dizziness. It has not helped with my sleep yet. So my doctor told me to take it in the morning instead so today I took it this morning and will see.
    • Posted

Hi wanda82375, I too have horrid insomnia, occasionally melatonin helps.  My doc says I can take up to 20mg before bed.  My bad is I am bored in bed waiting to fall asleep so I am doing jigsaw puzzles while I wait.  Vicious cycle.

i was previously on Cipralex, it stopped working - I was thinking very bad thoughts - so physiatrist suggested venaflaxine.  My mood is so much better thank goodness, I was very scared due to depression, I am now at 300mg.  I really need to work on preparing myself for sleep at night...

• Posted

Hi, I currently take 150mg morning and night having started off on 150 total 9 months ago. I am awake early - about 5.30/6 most days but every month or so I don't sleep at all (last night!) I just take it as normal now and if I don't feel tired I don't go to bed or try to sleep. Some times I will drop off and then go to bed but occasionally I just go through the night awake. I've never felt particularly tired through the next day and just carry on as normal the next night.

• Posted

Hi, my apologies for not responding earlier.  I’m sorry I was not more clear in my previous post.  Part and parcel of menopause and auto immune disease.  I was perscribed venaflaxine for depression/anxiety.  This drug does cause insomnia so the melatonin did help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.