Venlafaxine dose increase question

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been on Venlafaxine 75mg for a month, then increased to 150mg last week. It's my experience that they build up in your system over the weeks.

Am I imagining this, and the increase kicks in straight away, or should I expect the good effects (and bad) to increase over time?

Any advice or experience welcome, thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The increase kicks in straight away (half-life = 6 hours).   Side effects can take 1-12 weeks to disappear (some are very quick others last a lot longer eg tiredness) and positive effects take 2-6 weeks.   The delay between how fast it enters (and leaves) your system and the EFFECTS of the drug are because the nervous system has to adapt to this drug.

As with all meds, how well a med works for you (it works great for me) is unique to you, you can't really go by what others say.   If it's going to work you should know by week 4.

• Posted

Thanks Ian, very helpful! I've a while to go yet then x

• Posted

I am one 225 mg a day, Ian72355, and it works great for me too.  I have no bad side effects except for terrible sweating...I want to stop taking Venlafaxine, but I am told the withdrawals are unbearable, horrific and just awful...So scared to stop because of the awful withdrawal but I cannot handle the constant sweating anymore!!!
    • Posted

I find that although the forum's are invaluable, because there's such great advice, it's full of different accounts because the drugs affects people differently. If you let the scaremongering stop you, you'd never do anything. For example, before starting Venlafaxine, I read online people saying "this has saved my life" and others saying "DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG!!!". So far, it's not too bad. Hopefully your withdrawal's won't be too terrible for YOU Jacqueline xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.