Venlafaxine er withdrawals

Posted , 10 users are following.

2 weeks since I've slowly tried to taper off this crazy drug and I feel terrible really anxious almost had a panic attack a couple times shaky nervous body aches and pains any suggestions of how long this might last and what more to expect???????

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am not a professional, I am simply posting things off respected websites and sharing my own nightmare from hell tappering of Zoloft.

Effexor info... Everyday concerns, as reported in a Wyeth study, include nausea, dry mouth, dizziness, insomnia, constipation, nervousness, sweating and blurred vision.

Here is a list the following withdrawal symptoms as "serious": agitation, anorexia, anxiety, confusion, impaired coordination, diarrhea, dizziness, dry mouth, dysphoric mood, . .

a noticeable change in mood, dizziness, and nausea. She experienced a sensation in her head as if electrical discharges "popped" and could not concentrate to the extent that she was unable to drive her car the popping" in her head had become worse and she vommited.

Those are the basics I found online.  Best thing to do is just research this on the actual website for whatever Pharaceutical makes it.  

I took 150mg for 18 years, I quit taking it cold turkey, I had zero side effects. 

I am going through horrible horrible side effects from stopping Zoloft.  Don't ever take that drug, it is so TOXIC.  And I was only on 200mg.  I went to fast when tapering off.  

Hope this helps a little.  I ended up just searching the internet for Zoloft side effects when stopping ....  etc, you just type Effexor which is the original pill, not the generic Venlafaxine.

Good luck.  I would not ever go on SSRI's again.  EVER.  Zoloft

• Posted

What made you decide to stop Venlafaxine? I have decided because I feel I can manage my depression myself. Mindfulness is good for me and my yoga classes. :-)
    • Posted

Hi Iyoga just the fact that it doesn't fix the underlying cause of my anxiety, that I need to fix by myself and without putting drugs in my body that who knows what it might bring in the long run negatively to my body but yes mindfullness and exercise do help for me also, congrats on beating your depression by yourself thanks for your reply and hope for your continued success smile

• Posted

Srry Just realized that reply wasn't for me lol but still happy for you

• Posted

Have you talked to your doctor about what you are going through? I am still taking venlafaxine and mirtazapine and that combo works very well for my MDD. I wish I could be more helpful with your withdraway experience. Keep using this site and talking about your feelings and symptoms. It is a great place to talk to others who understand

your struggles. Also please talk to a health care professional.

Take care,

Phyll8s

• Posted

Thank you Phillis I have not talked to my doc I decided to just quit I suffer from gad and pd also ocd with checking my heart rate and the medication helped but started making things worst plus it doesn't treat the underlying cause of my anxiety so that I have to do by myself no drugs, but thanks for your reply it does help a lot to chat here with fellow sufferers lol smile

• Posted

Hi there. I don't know if this will help, but I tapered off Ven this past summer VERY slowly -- took my last dose in May. For a few months, I felt great. Then I hit a wall -- I was so depressed for two months I couldn't leave the house. Then I started taking another antidepressant, Luvox, which took weeks to kick in -- but then it DID kick in and I was doing much better, getting out and about. However, for the past several weeks, I have had the shakes and panic attacks and bouts of crying. I am wondering if it's still the Ven in my system? Who knows.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth congrats on getting off this terrible drug and I'm sorry to hear you are suffering with another maybe take my approach and quit all drugs and try to find the underlying cause of your problem remember these help just help but don't cure the problem thank you for your reply hope you do better smile

• Posted

Can you be more specific about what your view point of very slow is. Also what's your dose and how long have you been taking it? All of the above can be determining factors.

• Posted

Hi cheryl I've been taking 75mg for 6 yrs and now I'm taking it 6 hours late everyday for two weeks then going to 8 hrs later and so on good Ideal or no and thanks for your responce smile

• Posted

charly, the best way to taper off AD's is by tapering the dose not the time taken. If you are on the effexor xr, this is time released through a 24 hour period meaning you need to take it the same time each day. 

a 10% reduction of current dose every 4-6 weeks is what is recommended (Some individuals do 5% cuts to go slower) So right now if you are at 75mg you would cut down to 67.5 mg. then 4-6 weeks later a 10% cut of that dose would be 60.75mg and so forth etc.... As you go down lower the 10% cuts will become smaller. 

• Posted

Great info thank you much cheryl I think I'm gonna stick to this method as it is working and once I go on to take it once every other day I will switch to the 37.5mg ones but if this does fail I will most definitely take the route you mentioned thanks once again for your response and help!

• Posted

Hi that would be ok if you can get the drug in liquid form xx

Ellie xx

• Posted

Lowering the dose I agree with I'm lowering mine in manageable 18.75mg increments

But everyone's body (brain) is different and handles tapering differently ALSO I must add that when you get to Tablet form it isn't time release , therefor, the half life of the drug(the time it takes to wear off out of the bodies system) is shortened exponentially

Please remember this when you get to the 37.5mg Charly ???

Ellie

• Posted

Thank u ellie I will most definitely remember that lol thanks for the advice
    • Posted

Charly,

Seriously.....if you don't want to be affected by the withdrawal symptoms induced by coming off of Effexor, reducing the dosage is the BEST and most effective way of going about it. When you taper yourself off by reducing the dosage, the drug will still get to be released into your system at the schedule time but at lower increments over a spanned time frame. This will lessen the effects by a GREAT deal.

When you wait to take the dose, your body goes into withdrawal because the drug is no longer in your system. That's why slowly tapering down in dosage allows you to still put it in your system to avoid the effects.

If and when you plan to skip a day and take a pill, again your body will begin to show with withdrawal effects until you take the next pill and this will continue all the way until the end and well after you quit because you did not TAPER off effectively. Unfortunately, Effexor is the worst med to come off of because of the withdrawal effects.

I was on it for years ago, tried the approach that you're doing.....HUGE NO NO......then got back on after a pregnancy for 7 years, then in 2014 I came off for 2 years because I wanted to lose weight so I decided to try something else which ended up being the worst decision ever and now 2016 I'm back on, as it does work for me so PLEASE take my advice!!!!!

If your method works for you and your suffering is minimal, I will be extremely happy for you, but highly consider this tapering method. You posted this discussion because you obviously are bothered by the effects......

• Posted

Thanks for your reply meLisa and yes the withdrawl sucks my strategy was working pretty good after 3 day of pretty bad side affect but now that I'm taking it at an even later time I'm back to the low point but I am getting really close to trying the reducing method because this is no fun but thank u much for you great info smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.