Venlafaxine has caused huge weight gain (amongst other problems)

Posted , 4 users are following.

I started taking venlafaxine in early April this year, because I had been on Fluoxetine for a few years and everyone, including my doctors, told me that ven was really similar but better. I gave it a go because my boyfriend was concerned that I wasn't making progress very quickly.

Within 3 days of beginning the new medication I was back to having suicidal thoughts and self harming, something I had not experienced for several years prior. It continued to make me more and more tired and depressed until finally I was hospitalised with severe constipation. It was the worst pain of my life and no one warned me that this might happen. I don't even remember it being listed under side effects.

after this it became obvious I couldn't take venlafaxine any longer and things have been much better since switching back to fluoxetine. However I am still recovering from the experience and recently realised that I have gained A LOT of weight (around 2 stone) since starting the ven. 

Because of my other health problems it is causing me a lot of discomfort, and losing weight is not easy for me.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm just so distraught that this drug has messed up my life so badly.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Iv gained 4 stone over 14 years. Started Withdrawel this week. Hoping it comes off in time. Best of luck x
    • Posted

Elaine, if you are struggling with withdrawal you may be naturally low in seratonin. Google natural ways to promote seratonin production. I have been taking several vitamins and supplements which minimised the withdrawal symptoms for me.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.