Venlafaxine - too many side effects?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I've heard a lot about this medication. I don't want to be prescribed it because it seems to come with load of side effects and people get withdrawal if they are an hour or so late with their dose. Also sound horrendous to get off; What are people's experiences?

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This medicine is dreadful to come off. However it saved my life, so swings and roundabouts really. The slower you withdraw the better xxx
  • Posted

Hi iv been on this med many years ago..I also had many worries.. I couldn't remember why I came off it. I actually cried not to go back on it but I'm so glad I did .. thankfully I have no side effects ..I started on 75mg upto 150mg and now upto 225mg in which I asked as I hope it lifts my mood like it did at the beginning & helps me sleep better as it does make u drowsy bt it is a night time med so not to worry. I hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Sharon.I have depression, anxiety and panic. After many years on 40 mg of Paroxetine it stopped working. So I was started several weeks ago on 75 mg Venlafaxine XL [slow release.] at night. Then upped to 150 mg

XL. It was suggested I take 75 mg at night and 75 mg in the morning. I've done this since last Friday. It's made me feel

Worse. Aching joints, tired and crying. Were you told it was best to take the Venlafaxine at night? I don't know why my doctor and CPN want me to take it during the day. It's awful.

• Posted

Hi yes I was told to take is at night because it has a drowsy effect which will help me sleep. This med also a numbing effect that stops I from crying I also am like you.. Iv been through some really bad family sh*t of late & I do believe without ven I would of gone over the edge..I dnt understand why they tell you to split it, it won't have the same effect as it should do. I try to take it around 9-10pm that way I dnt feel to bad in the morning ..I hope this helps

• Posted

Thank you Sharon. I personally feel it's better at night for me. I'm still getting used to the side effects of 150mg dose.

So I don't think splitting the dose is the way forward, I actually feel worse splitting the dose. I also have a low dose sleeping tablet as well. I'm going to have another

talk with my GP this week.

It's finding the right dose and the best time to take it is my next move. Like everyone on this group I just want to get some peace and calm in my life.

I'll let you know what's decided.

• Posted

Hi yes do.. I was taking zopiclone but once I went upto 150mg I was able to go asleep without now & then, now I'm up to 225mg I v been taking a reduced zopiclone every other night which is really good .. feeling tired during the day but that should pass once I'm used to them. Iv seen peaple split other meds on this forum eg. Lithium which I also take I asked my doc & he said there really isn't any need to split any meds. Iv never even thought of doing that before now. Good luck ..look fwards to hearing from you x

• Posted

Hi chriselora .... I hope u feel better soon, honestly i woulsnt take ur venlafaxine on a night time as it will be working while ur a sleep and wont gove u the effect u actually need ... If u have to take 2 a day they should be took in the morningboth of them or take one in the morning and one at dinner time ... They do make ya feel dizzy and sick until ya get used to them but they are amazin after that x
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice Richard. I appreciate it very much. I will definitely have a look at doing what you suggest.

I will start tomorrow as I won't take tonight's dose.

• Posted

Av been on 300mg venlafaxine and 45mg mirtazipine for years now and i take them at the same time every mornin around 8.30 ish ... I dont think i could do without mine now they are that brilliant and iv tried every other drug there is to try
    • Posted

Hi can I ask what illness you have Richard. . Both are sleeping agents so how do you manage your day ? I'm glad they work for you.. 1 of the lucky 1s

• Posted

Ah im used to them ... Also im on 30mg of buprenorphine too ... The illness i have is PTSD agoraphobia ... Choking phobia and server panick attacks ... I have to have 24/7 care abd i dont go out at all
    • Posted

Hi Richard

I'm on mirt and ven too. Do you take mirt and ven in the morning? If so are you sleepy throughout the day?

I am so much better mentally but still feel sluggish. Would be interested to hear how things are going with you ?

• Posted

Hi lorraine ... Im only meant to be on 15mg of mirtazipine but i take 45mg .... I dont take them alltogether i take my buprenorphine 30mg on a morning with my 300 mg of venlafaxine, then at 12 dinner time i take 15mg of mirtaz... Then if im anxious i take 15mg at 6pm ish ... Then i take 15mg at 09.00pm before bed .... Thats my routine x
    • Posted

Thank you for your response Richard.

It's really helpful to know your routine. It sounds like it's working for you. I think my routine needs some adjustment so i can be a bit livelier!! Are your days manageable now eg back to normal?

Thanks again for replying ?

• Posted

Erm no lorraine i still have server anxiety and panic ... So i think i need them upped to the max dose which is 375mg ... But iv been on these for a few year now and i cant live without them, it does takw most of my anxiety away though as i was really bad before i had these x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.