Venlafaxine Weight Gain

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am frustrated. I was on Venlafaxine for three months for anxiety. In those three months I gained 13kg. I tapered off of the drug 8 months ago. The withdrawals weren't too bad. However, despite my best efforts to diet and exercise I haven't been able to take any weight off. Did this drug permanently ruin my metabolism? Is there any hope that the weight will come off?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would be interested in this answer as well. I am still on ven and also take anti-psychotics and have put on a lot of weight. I am just about to try and shed some of it with a diet, am I wasting my time?

BM 

• Posted

I'm certain it will with a continuous effort of diet and excercise. It took me a year but since I'm still tapering I'm hungry all the time!

• Posted

Hi, I have experienced similar weight gain issues! I am also hoping it will eventually go, I have seen mixed messages on here some say it will go others say the weight is impossible to shift! I tried this drug as I was on the heavy side before and these were meant to be one of the better drugs for no weight gain side effects. Best of luck in your weight loss journey.xxx
  • Posted

I've started taking this drug and too be honest I'm not sure it's a good thing. I've also gained weight but for me I can't stop sleeping, I'm so tired all the time. Do you also have these problems. Thanks Neil

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.