Venlafaxine withdrawals please help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I need some advice about venlafaxine withdrawals. So I started on 75mg venlafaxine and took it for about 6 weeks but I had urinary problems so I decided to come off it. Like an idiot I just stopped cold turkey cause I thought "hey I've only been on it 6 weeks, the withdrawals won't be that bad".... how wrong was I!!! The physical withdrawals were nothing compared to the mental stuff I've had to deal with. Within 2 days of stopping I had EXTREME anxiety, paranoia, intrusive thoughts, tearfulness... you name it I had it. After 2 weeks it all reduced to a more manageable level, but 6 weeks on and it's not totally gone and now I'm getting scared it never will. I never had this level of anxiety or paranoia before venlafaxine, it's so bad that I don't feel safe in my own home cause I'm convinced someone is going to break in. I did speak to the GP when it first started and they said it would wear off.. but I was thinking it would/should have gone by now. Has anyone else experienced this and know how long it will carry on for?? Any advice welcome, but I will NOT restart this evil drug or any other antidepressants. I am still taking Chlorpromazine daily though.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

it has likely triggered PTSD. this medicine is not for people with ptsd and you can have it and not even know it because it is subconscious.

start taking omega 3 it is the thing helping me ride out these withdrawals but you gotta also stop those thoughsts as they happen because they are trying to form patterns in your brain that make them habit.

and THAT is what keeps them around.

• Posted

Hello, I can sympathise with you, I was on Venlafaxine for years and basically stopped taking it over a very short period of time.  Like you not only the mental but physical withdrawal symptoms are dreadful, but now a few weeks on, I am starting to to believe I am getting there.  I do understand your feelings of being afraid on your own, my husband was late home the other day, my dogs started to bark, I became really scared phoned my husband saying please get home quickly.  I to have the odd day of low moods but I now have a determination to beat this, there is light at the end of the tunnel, if possible try to stay positive.  I have taken to going through the catch up TV, looking for comedy shows, anything to make me laugh, my husband and I have laughed so much we have cried tears through laughter, I am sure that having a good laugh makes such a difference, it helps to lighten the mood.  Anything is worth a go I feel it helps. Jan
  • Posted

Hey Shtutty,

I went cold turkey after being on it for 8 weeks. I am 12 days out from stopping and feeling mostly human again! There is hope!

I experienced horrible vertigo, disorientation, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, exhaustion and dizziness.

I have been taking a number of herbal suppliments that I'm sure helped. I was well enough to go out and celebrate my birthday on day 7 and even except a new job.

I hope yours passes! I'd be happy to list what I was taking, should you be interested.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.