Venlafaxine - withdrawing

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've taken Venlafaxine 37.5mg daily for 14 months and I now feel very ready to come off them. I visited my GP today to seek advice on how to do this as when (even on this low dose) I have missed a tablet I have experienced dizziness, nausea and headaches. I was a little taken aback when he informed me that the symptons I experience aren't due to anything physical but anxiety lead i.e. I'm not ready to come off the medication. This makes no sense to me at all! Does anyone agree with this?

4 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm afraid your GP is talking rubbish. The side effects of withdrawal, even on the lowest dose, as you are, are very real indeed. I think the only people who don't suffer withdrawal are those that switch to another medication in the same group. 

I came off 225mg,after being on it for 6 years, nearly 12 weeks ago and suffered major side effects and withdrawal. But I did go cold turkey. The recommended method is to reduce your dosage slowly, over a matter of weeks. As you are already on the lowest doe you could start cutting your pills into halves, quarters etc and experiment to see what works best for you.

i tried coming off it once before by reducing slowly and got down to 37.5mg with no problem. But once I tried to stop altogether I had bad side effects.

A lot of GPs don't have the necessary psychiatric training and therefore are dismissive of withdrawal symptoms. but from the extensive research I did before coming off the, I know otherwise.

Good luck, and take it slowly.

• Posted

Hello there

Did you have brain zaps and a foggy type feeling? How soon did your withdrawal symptoms stop and are you ok now? I want to stop but I've been taking Effexor for 3 years and a couple different anti-depressents fortotal of 20 years, I'm older now almost 50 and thinking uh oh I hope i don't get dimentia or something because of these pills.. Have a nice dayconfused

• Posted

Hi

Yes, I had terrible brain zaps, foggy head, nausea, headaches, shivers but I stated taking Omega 3, high strength vitamin B complex, vitamins c and D and the very next day I started to feel almost human again.

I was signed off work for 2 weeks to go cold turkey as my GP knew very little about the drug.

If you are thinking about doing this I strongly recommend you get the vitamins and start taking them ASAP.

Also, make sure you are drinking lots of water/juice.

Hope you get on ok.

It's hard but worth it. X

• Posted

Yes I had brain zaps, shivers, nightmares, nausea,sounds in ears and probs lots more I went cold turkey from 300mg a day(I don't advise this way) but pleased I did. Today is my second week off this drug and feel like a person again. Do take the vitamins the other lady suggested they really s

Do help. Good luck x

• Posted

The symptoms you are experiencing are related to the withdrawal of the drug from your system not anxiety.  Doctors know very little about proper withdrawal and I would be reluctant to follow their advice when withdrawing.  I also know they prefer to keep patients on drugs rather than supporting that they get off.  I've been on Effexor XR for well over 12 years and have spent the last 3 years in an extremely slow taper.  I'm currently on 3 beads/day and since 6-8 months ago, I've been reducing 1 bead every 3-4 months.  This method of withdrawal has had very little affect on me and I feel no w/d symptoms at present.  I will continue to reduce 1 bead until I feel for certsin that I can stop.  It will be very gradual and it will take another year or so but that's okay because I'm in no hurry.  Best of luck!

• Posted

1. GPs should not be prescribing psychotropic medication because they stink at follow-up. With that said

2. Withdrawal symptoms are real even at sub-therapeutic dosage that you are on. Therapeutic doses for anxiety disorders are at minimum 75mg. Therefore

3. you were taking sub-therapeutic dosage to manage as opposed to treating an anxiety condition as a result of being followed by a GP instead of a licensed psychiatrist.

Based on the above there are some considerations:

1. For any patient still experiencing definitive anxiety symptoms even after months of therapy the dosage needs to be increased. Only once all anxiety symptoms withdraw, and following a minimum 6 months remission, should the dosage begin to be tapered gradually.

2. If you do not have anxiety symptoms and did not have any for the last 6 months, except when you miss a dose you may begin to taper. The problem is that from 37.5 there is no proper tapering. Most discontinue entirely at 37.5. If you have tablets you can halve them and remain at a half for around 3 months and then stop. If you have capsules you will simply need to stop because approximations in removing beads are not advised. You may try halving the contents by using a good scale. Still this is not the best way. Counting beads is also debatable but some swear by it.

3. Consult a psychiatrist for the best way forward - if feasible it may be the best way forward.

Your GP however does know more than we do here as he has met you, seen you and monitored your progress. If there is cause to believe that your anxiety is still prominent I would rather discuss upping the dose to see how it goes, before discontinuing. If you are certain that you are ok, and all this again depends on the severity of symptoms you initially presented with and the kind of progress you have made, you may try to come off.

Best of luck either way.

• Posted

Hi looploo10,

Been taking venlafaxine 300mg daily for couple of years now and even missing one day gives awful withdrawal typically symptoms as you describe. I forgot to get script last week and used last on Fri morning. Been a horrible experience since, all your mentioned plus brain zaps shivering shaking sweating vivid dreams, jumbled words crying, laughing for no reason nearly 72hrs now and unsure if should just stick it out and get off this awful drug. Have also gained over 20 pounds in weight. I suggest you do what feels right for you. Good luck

• Posted

that is what i was taking, 300 mg I have been off for about a month and feel much much better. more mysekf with some difficukty and side effects STILL. omega 3 from krill [not plant] has been the most helpful. that and keeping my eye on the positive.Good luck if you decide to stick it through but i do not recommend cold turkey sad so much worse than tapering off (even though i did a quick taper that was not much better)

• Posted

Thanks for your advice, but have decided to stick with it don't want them tablets ever again. Have spoke to my G.P. this morning and she is fine for me to to do this. She has prescribed 15mg of mirtazapine for an evening. Will try the omega oils when able to et some thanks for that

• Posted

300mg is above average dosage and should most definitely be monitored by psychiatrist and not GP. 'Sticking it out' cold turkey from 300mg is really ill advised by this particular GP - i am stunned... There is absolutely no reason, unless there are medical urgencies, for anyone to not take time to properly taper. I wish you the best in your attempt, at the same time I hope others here do not assume this is the correct way to go about it.

• Posted

I know this is not the advisable way to come off these tablets, but I am adamant to try. My G.P. will be monitoring me and regular appointments check ups are from today in place. Thanks very much for your advice and concern.(was not originally prescribed by this G.P.)
  • Posted

That's so very wrong. I had tapered down to 37.5mg every other day and felt awful on the day I didn't take it. Nausea, brain zaps, headaches, tiredness etc etc. Eventually 3 weeks ago I went back to my GP and saw a nurse. I explained that I wanted to stop ASAP and was told it could take up to 8 months to wean me off.

Whether it right or wrong I went cold turkey. I was signed off work for 2 weeks to do this. It wasn't easy and I felt terrible, the brain zaps and generally feeling zoned was by far the worse but I started taking omega 3 oils, vitamin B complex, vitamins D and E and within a day I felt so much better.

I'm not 2 weeks without the pills, back at work and feeling proud.

It can be done if you're ready, determined and have a good support network. My husband, family and employer were great,

Good luck 😉

• Posted

I am 2 weeks without pills! I mis typed.
    • Posted

Thanks Sam, your experience is so helpful in helping me to help myself. So happy for you, just proves it can be done. Hubby is been absolutely tremendous my rock, all set with my shopping list of items required. I know I still have a struggle ahead but to me every extra hour without is a success. Well done to you and all your support team.
    • Posted

That's ok Hun.

As long as you're prepared and positive you'll do it and feel so much better for it.

Take it a day at a time, you will fe rubbish but know that it won't last.

Remember to get the omega 3's and vitamin B complex, they did absolute wonders and remember to drink lots as that will help with the nausea too.

Best of luck Hun! You can do it x

• Posted

Hubby getting them for me, drinking loads as well xx
    • Posted

Had really bad time this morning, got through it and still going
    • Posted

I know it's so hard but I promise it will get better. Stick with it Hun.

My afternoons were the worst. When I felt ok (ish) I tried to occupy myself.

My thing is baking, so I made some lovely cakes just to keep busy. I also found walking my dog in the cool fresh air really cleared the foggy head. It was probably mind over matter but at the time it was helpful.

Do one thing a day you enjoy, providing you feel up to it x X x

• Posted

Hi Sam, yr know at the minute cannot think of anything I really like doing, think I stopped having a life and friends with these tablets. I do have an adult ( as in grown up not the other type) colouring book might try that thanks Hun you are been such an amazing help right now x
    • Posted

Not a problem.

Yes, those adult colouring books are great.

Keep taking the vitamins, make sure you take 1 omega 3 morning and night. Eat lots of green veg too.

Message anytime, it's no problem.

There is light at the end of the tunnel 😀

• Posted

My omega 3 says only once daily, no problem with the greens love them all lol x
    • Posted

Was going ok till got call from dwp about my pip review ( have a few medical issues) then basically all went downhill from then. Was on my own as hubby was taking his mum to appointment.
    • Posted

Was still taking the venlafaxine at that time, told me was not aware anything for anxiety as venlafaxine does not treat that. It was like waving a red flag to a bull
    • Posted

Awarded not aware
    • Posted

Venlafaxine is readily prescribed for anxiety and depression, that's disgusting,

Sorry to hear that it knocked you back Hun,

Don't let it drag you down, you've come so far already, even though it doesn't feel like it right now.

Get a good magazine or book, a nice treat and relax. X x

• Posted

Unfortunately I didn't take this well, ending up having panic attack while still on phone then could not get my breathe also have emphysema tried to get inhaler and fell. Wouldn't care when hubby spoke to them 2 days ago they where told to ring his number not mine. Have calmed now but got aches and pains everywhere now. Apart from that episode feeling loads better this evening.

• Posted

Oh bless you. That's terrible that they made you feel that way. My mother in law suffered with the very same thing.

Glad you're feeling better this evening, 

Take it easy x 

• Posted

Wouldn't care was not disputing my award, just pointing out that there information was wrong thanks again Sam for all your support. Just settling down for the night now fingers crossed no nightmares or bad dreams where fairly bad last night x

• Posted

Oh yes mine were quite vivid too.

Message anytime, no problem at all.

Hope you have a restful night x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.