venlafaxine withdrawl

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on Pristiq 50mg and Seroquel 50mg for 6 years. My doctor passed away and I was assigned a new psychiatrist he recently switched me to venlafaxine 113.5 mg, Risperidone 1mg and 25mg Seroquel.  After a week I was overly exhausted, drowsy, and sleepy. He then stopped the Seroquel and had me on Venlafaxine 113.5 mg and Risperidone.   I went through a bad withdrawal from the Seroquel. During that time I had major mood swings and attempted suicide. I overdosed on 1 moth supply of Venlafaxine and Risperidone. I was hospitalized for 2 days and was assigned a new psychiatrist again. After the overdose my new Psychiatrist has put me on 100 mg of Seroquel.

It has been two weeks and I am experiencing severe anxiety. My Doctor did not taper me off, he stopped it cold turkey. I cannot function at all. I feel very anxious all the time, have panic attacks, feels like I can’t breathe, felt irritable, and loss of appetite (lost 8lbs in 2 weeks). The only relief I get is at night when I take the 100mg Seroquel and it makes me drowsy and sleep. Every day for the past 2 weeks I jump out of bed with anxiety, feeling like I can’t breathe, crying spells, this will last throughout the day till I take my Seroquel at night and feel drowsy.

I cannot bare the anxiety and more, it’s horrible. It is a thousand times worse than anything I have dealt with in my entire life. This is the 2nd day into my 3rd week and I still feel the same. I am emotionally and mentally exhausted. I have tried meditation, nighty nighty tea, chamomile tea, deep breathing and exercise, B6/B12 vitamins, Valerian root, Sleep MD, omega 3, vitamin C and Vitamin D.

Nothing seems to work. How long will this last? Will it even last?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

What a mess. But it will get sorted - some patience is needed until the doctors figure it out.

How were your symptoms in the last 2 years of being on 50mg Pristiq and 50mg Seroquel?

• Posted

Only symptoms were tiredness, lack of motivation and felt drowsy in the morning.
    • Posted

And this was before the new psych started switching things around on you?

In that case, you were in need of a change, however that change should have been more gentle and more closely monitored so as to avoid the nasty episode you have been through as a result.

Glad you are here and although you are struggling, know that they absolutely have to continue shifting things around until they find what clicks with you to help stabilize you. It seems like your original doctor did you no favours either by keeping you on 50:50 that seemed to be underperforming.

For your heightened anxiety you should be allowed to take a steady course of benzos for a few weeks. However not sure if they can do this for you as an outpatient considering your recent history. Don't do that again! Seriously. If you are ever tempted dial an ambulance. Please.

Meanwhile, pester your new psych! Force them to give you any and all attention you now require. Force them to try to make you more comfortable. Call them. Tell them it's been 3 weeks and you are not well.

Technically, on 100mg Seroq. you may take another week or two for the worst to stop. You are still reeling from Venlafaxine discontinuation but that too should get better over the next week or two as you are on other supporting medicine.

When is your next appointment? If it is anything longer than next week, call them and make sure you are seen. You are in control. Though it may not feel like it now smile

Sending love

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.