Venlafine effects on chronic fatigue syndrome

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have both depression and chronic fatigue syndrome. I have been given Venlaxine by my GP and wondered will this drug make me more tired?

I have had bad side effects with medication in the past and dont want to jump into taking this. Sometimes I cant get out of bed unless Ive had three coffeess and I have no intention of trying this and finding I need to sleep 23 hours a day which I have in the past.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

NO...Don't do it.....I have suffered CFS all my life in varying degrees!....Following breast cancer and cold rurkey withdrawl from HRT + prescribed Temoxefam, I was in a mess.......I was prescribed 225 mg Venlafaxine daily...told it was post op depression.......Hindsight .(which is a marvellous thing).......The trauma of surgery and the withdrawl of HRT had triggered off a massive CFS flare up........

I took the Venlafaxine for 20 years..........until when on holiday I hadn't enough pills I suffered severe withdrawl.....I then began my horrendous slow taper withdrawl over 14 months.......Now even after 5 months free I still have the occasional withdrawl symptoms........Not the depression coming back as most drs would say as I wasn't suffering from depression in the first place....

Please do some research on the side effects and withdrawl of Venlafaxine.......it's an evil drug...once on it you'll never get off it and it most certainly does not help with CFS....God Bless

• Posted

Sorry that should have read 10 years not 20
  • Posted

Hi. I've no official diagnosis for CFS (currentlyat the finding our part) but I do take Venlafaxine for anxiety and depression. It has worked for them and I am much less tired than I am on Sertraline.

Following on from Gettinthere's post, withdrawal isn't pleasant but with help from your doctor hopeful it won't be as bad for you. I take 150mg a day and notice the side effects of withdrawal if I don't take them on time or as instructed. Make sure you eat before you take them as it doesn't absorb properly on an empty stomach and take them at the same time each day so you don't get "brain zaps" or migraines and other nasty effects.

Despite the above, I feel much better for having it. Hopefully someone with a CFS diagnosis can give you a slightly more tailored description.

• Posted

Oh sorry, I didn't realise this was a year ago! My filter must be off...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.