Venlaflaxine - bit of a silly question !

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just wonder if anyone can help me.

Been told that Venlaflaxine kicks as an SSRI at 150mg or 250mg. Just wondering what it is at a lower dose. Is it still an SSRI or something different. Coming the conclusion that I can no longer tolerate SSRI as they seem to make my anxiety worse. No idea what my options are. I have no longer access to mental health services and my doctor is sick of me. I think i was better on 75mg, since 150mg I'm pretty much anxious all the time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hey

Venlafaxine acts as an SSRI only at lower doses probably at less than 150 mg but acts as SSNRI at higher doses maybe over 150 mg but certainly at 225 mg and above. I have been at 225 mg for about six weeks and have definifeley seen an impeovement with both anxiety and depression

• Posted

Did you find an improvement going from 150mg to 225 ? Are you on XR ?
  • Posted

Yes definite improvement invreasing to 225 mg. I take instant release generic 2x75mg in morning and 1x75mg early evening
  • Posted

Hi Elaine,

Venlafaxine is an SNRI not an SSRI. I have been taking 300mg every day since July 2015. I was only on a lower dosage for a couple of weeks, and had never taken any antidepressants before 2015, so I have no comparison for low or high dosages. They work very well or me and I'm enjoying life again. If you think SSRI's are not working for you anymore, then Venlafaxine might work better because as an SNRI it is a different class of antidepressant. I hope you will feel better soon.

Take care,

Phyllis

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.