Ventricular premature beats

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

Last November my doctor tried me on what turned out to be a very large dose of liothyonine (as an alternative to levothyroxine) without reducing the levothyroxine dose first.

My heart when crazy and pounded continously. I've spent this year coming off a lot of thyroid medication at my endocrinologist suggestion as he said I was on way to much anyway.

The thing is almost a year later I'm only on 50mg and my levels are normal and I'm still having the pounding heart so been referred for a 24 hour heart monitor this week. The endo said it was probably ventricular premature beats.

My question is - how do they treat this? I'm already on beta blockers which don't provide a great deal of relief from this

I hope I'm not stuck with this forever it keeps me awake every night and is so uncomfortable

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The heart palpitations generally occur when there's an imbalance between T3 and T4 levels. The levo is T4 only, so if you have conversion problems, your T3 will be low. Looks like the liothyonine is T3 only, which could result in relatively high T3 levels. Check your blood work history and see if levels have been on the high end for one and low for the other.

Its always easier to get the thyroid so meds right, rather than try and treat all the side effects.

Try doing some research on meds that are closest to human biology.

• Posted

Hi there

Yes I agree that this is probably the cause. Just waiting on blood results today. T3 is usually mid range whilst on levothyroxine and T4 is usually towards the top end. My doctor is considering switching me back to t3 meds depending on the results. He ideally wanted me to be on a combination of the two but I'm on such a low dose anyway it would mean me having to split the tablets etc. I feel really groggy and exhausted so I do think my t3 is probably too low anyway. I heard that the t4 converts in the body to usable t3 anyway so hopefully I may be ok on t3 alone but who knows! Thanks for your message

• Posted

If you do the levo, you get T4 higher with T3 low. The low or high T3 can cause heart palpitations and panic.Low T4 causes brain fog. With levo, bc its T4, you have to overshoot it a little on the T4 if you want the T3 in the higher range, which many thyroid patients feel better at. But then the T 4 us a bit above range and your TSH will likely be zeroed out.

The Armour is a combo. However, it's from pigs and pigs have a higher T3 to T4 ratio than humans. So you get higher T3 and low T4, the opposite as with the levo. Neither really work well.

Lower doses seem to have fewer problems, as the higher the dose, the larger the gap in appropriate ratios, and also increased side effects. The levo seems to have way more side effects than the NDT (Armour). 

Check out the post here called "unacceptable side effects of levothyroxin."

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.