Vertibrae fusion

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all!

I'm 43, 6ft tall, I have a slight scoliosis, a degenerating vertibrae at T5 and a prolapsed disc at L2. Every year, without fail I have a flare up worth my disc, where I have electric shock symptoms down both legs along with full aches down both legs, the pain at the base of my back is indescribable. I cannot stand up straight, I have had physio, the won't give me the cortisone injection, I've had numerous c.t. x-rays, mri scans... taken myself to the hospital...

I can be off work for weeks to months... last year it was so bad I bought myself a wheelchair, I have crutches and a walking stick, so ready for all occasions!

My last visit to the hospital was Thursday 11th November 2016. They still won't scan me or do further tests to see if, as I believe, it has got worse. The doc at the hospital gave me a letter to take to the gp who will be able to refer BACK to the hospital for a scan.

I have been looking up vertibrae fusion, where they remove the useless disc and then fuse the 2 vertibrae together. Is there any one on here that has had it done or knows more about it.

I am willing to try anything now, as I'm losing my patience. Anything had to be better than what I'm going through at the moment. I'm literally doing nothing as everything hurts. I'm on a short dose of morphine and diazipam, ibuprofen and paracetamol .

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lizzie,

I have bulging disc T10-11 and just had operation.

I know all about electric shock symptoms plus burning in my thights and numb right foot.

You need to get an immediate MRI scan to establish the damage, it may be worth paying privately to see a neurologist(if feasible) as waiting lists on NHS are hideous then go back on NHS for the MRI, this is what I did.

Be warned you will have to fight all the way and demand an mRI rather than "suggest' it- they will happily let you stay where you are.

Keep me posted.

• Posted

Hi

snap. Or at least I am on the waiting list now for L3/4 fusion

havent been able to work since july,which part of the country are you in.

• Posted

HI! I'm in Leeds. Just got back from docs... referring me to muscular skeletal to have an mri... hopefully it's something I can discuss with them.

He's put me on naproxin which I can take with my morphine. .. that should, he said keep the edge off. He's gonna rush thru the app for MSK, so hopefully a couple if days and I'll have a phone call!

Good luck with yours when it happens. ..please let us know how you get on! Xxx

• Posted

The Mri will show the problem,so I hope you get to have it soon,everything seems to be a WAIT!!!! I'm in Taunton,I've got a brilliant orthopaedic surgeon,but the waiting list is long,I've even volunteered to go in over Xmas,sooo fed up with this goddamn pain,keep in touchxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.