Vertigo and anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I'm going through a terrible bout of labrynthitis.  I'm into week 5 and the worst of the vertigo has passed, but I'm frustrated, anxious, tired and want it over. I get dizzy on and off - sometimes not too bad and other times pretty heavy duty. I have been continuing to go to work and I'm usually quite steady in the morning, but get quite dizzy early in the afternoon. I also get so what nauseated. I,be been doing vestibular exercises and walking every day. The fact that this going on for so long makes me anxious. Will my brain be able to compensate'. Does anyone have any advice or positive info?

Thanks,

linda

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda. 

I totally understand your anxiety and fear. I have the opposite,,,mornings are horrible and afternoons improve. I keep thinking...3 weeks ago I was fine...my life was good. I swam, walked, wentv to the gym. Now..I can do none of them. I am anxious all the time. I am due to fly overseas in a month...what should I do? 

For a week i've been sort of ok, then this morning I turned my head somehow and whoa....i'm unable to stand or see straight! 

So on Tuesday I see the physio at the hospital who will perform various things..but I need to Know there's some  hope of this ending. You'd think that  with the number of people this horrible condition  incapacitates, something could be done to fix the problem! I will post , if I get some positive news. Best wishes. ..Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

sorry to hear you have the same issue. I think the physio exercises are helping. It's just a slower recovery than I had hoped. Are you working.  I am and I find it exhausting, though I am getting through the days. I tend to try and do lots of walking at night - no matter what shape I'm in.  I am hoping my brain will eventually figure it out!

positive thoughts,

linda

• Posted

5 weeks is too early.  Expect about 3 months recovery time.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Thank you for your response Eleftherio. 

No one has given me even approximate recovery times.  your response has calmed me down a bit and I will continue to do my exercises and walk. Every time a movement makes me dizzy, I repeat it 5 times. I know my brain has to relearn balance, but it is definitely a challenge. The hardest thing is knowing when you should push through and when you should take a rest. 

Thanks again,

linda

• Posted

Hi Linda,  Sorry to hear your are going through this. I was diagnosed with labyrinthitis in early 2015 and it lasted for 4 - 5 weeks.  I was unable to work and had daily, severe vertigo attacks.  I was at my wit's end at that time and the worst part was not knowing when it would end!  Doctors told me that it takes a long time to go away.  This was not reassuring but they did not know how long it would last.  I can relate when you say you are anxious, as I was also.   Was it a ENT that diagnosed you?   Hope you recover soon from this.  

• Posted

Hi Linda

I’m dealing with the same issue and have extreme anxiety over this. I’m in my 7th week. I’ve had every test done- heart, lungs, ct scan, MRI.. everything came out clean. I was in the hospital for a week because I had no clue what was happening.  I went to an ENT and she said I seem fine and I am in the road to recovery (week 5) however I’m frustrated because I’m still feeling lightheaded and tingles in my body. My ears have pressure- feel plugged..do u have any of these symptoms? 

I’m doing all my exercises and I had two Epley Maneuvers done- which helped with the dizziness. I also just went to a walk in for extreme face pain and found out I have a sinus infection on top of this.

I just wanted to respond - I feel hopeless and needed some motivation or some sort of hope to know that this is close to an end. 

Are u still feeling this way? Any luck??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.