Vertigo during menstruation?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey all, during the night I developed vertigo. I could not lay on my back or right side without the room spinning. My period started yesterday and I had to get up like 5 times during the night because of having to urinate and change pads due to heavy bleeding. Never had this happen before and it was a little scary. Am exhausted today and had to call out of work because I feared getting dizzy there. Just curious if this is just another nasty symptom amongst all the other nasty symptoms. I can't wait for this to end, so sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. I'm taking 2500 mg of B12, 100 mg of B6, 500 mg of evening primrose plus multi vitamin. Any other suggestions? I still get my period although I will skip a month now and than. My doc says I'm in peri, I will be 52 next month so it would make sense that I am. Help!

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I also developed vertigo which totally freaked me out it was like my eyes wouldn't stay still as the spinning was just awful. I called my doctor who said it sounds like vertigo if it happens again come and see me :-) my periods are just starting to get erratic up until a couple of months ago I was regular like clockwork whereas now from each day I don't know if I'll bleed or not, been on off bleeding for 3 weeks! I take same sort of vitamins as you except I also take cod liver oil.  I have reflexology every 6-8 weeks and coukdnt recommend it highly enough x
    • Posted

Tracky,thats how my eyes felt too. Like they were moving back and forth and I couldn't control it. I feel so tired and weak today from a night of interruped sleep. I too was regular to the day before last Sept when I turned 51, then they became erractic as well. Sounds like definite shifts in hormones!
    • Posted

Yes Nancy totally agree with the hormones. I also find it takes a while to get excited about things, it was my 48th birthday at weekend and I literally had the hump for a few hours before it shifted, hated it as not like me at all.  I'm hoping the vertigo was a one off as scared me witless :-( x
    • Posted

I too developed vertigo in March.  I was even throwing up. I am not throwing up anymore thank God.  I stunk up the whole house! haha. Still dizzy all day which is so much fun.  I started some vitamins and that helped.  I have had 2 mornings with no dizziness so vitamins must be helping...it came back after but seems to be getting better.  I am still a dizzy blonde! haha. redface
  • Posted

Do you still have the vertigo when lying down and moving onto your side or has it gone now?
    • Posted

I woke up at 4am with the room spinning I was laying down in bed, thought I was just tired went back to sleep woke at 7am and it hadn't changed. I couldn't stand up and it was happening whilst I was laying in bed....horrible 
    • Posted

Mooma, it did pass after I got up for the day. In fact I am laying on my right side now dealing with cramps and fatigue but no dizziness.
  • Posted

That's good then Nancy, I had vertigo 3 yrs ago, originally labyrinthitis, then BPPV , but the vertigo was with me for several months. I had a couple of repeat episodes last Nov and Jan, both BPPV and had to do some exercises to reposition particles in my ear. I agree it's very frightening. Sounds like yours is more like

y related to your hormones though. Glad it's gone xx

• Posted

Hi Sandy,

Pleased yr. better now. I suffer with bppv. Have done for 13 years 😩

I have long episodes with out it, then I get it again and get it all the time again. I have it again at the moment. What exercises did u do to help?

Thanks Jo

• Posted

My peri started with vertigo during periods. One time it was so bad they thought I had had a stroke and took me to hospital. I still get vertigo with my menopause but not nearly as bad a s it was. Im hoping hrt sorts it out. Its ver scary when it happens though. I was only 35 when I started peri so it took a while to come to terms with it. I'm now 45 having had a hysterectomy at 44 and in full blown menopause.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.