vertigo for as long as I remember

Posted , 4 users are following.

Good evening,

I'm very new to this site, but was hoping if anyone has been in my position and have gotten over it, by either meds, or other ways.

I have had vertigo for as long as I remembe, but was easily liveable until I was around 19/20. I abused my body at 18, as most people do, but vertigo is pretty much a daily occurrence since then.

My symptoms include vertigo, sweating, throwing up, my legs feel like jelly, and I forget things, that I would not normally forget. I find it really hard to concentrate, and I have a permanent pressure around the temple area. I am fairly fit, go to the gym 3 times per week, swimming another 3(when I don't feel too ill).

I have had enough now, and it's affecting my social life, and confidence.I was hoping there are people with success stories, so hopefully I can find some sort of help.I've been on a lot of different mens, and the only one that even touches it is ammitryptilin, which I am currently on.

Any help would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have tried various medications, but the one which helped me most was Cinnarazine or Stugeron.  It is a sea-sickness pill and I found it a much better alternative to Pizotifen which I had been on for 26 years.  In the end it was discovered that the vestibular migraine which gave me the vertigo was actually caused by the medication.  I now take nothing at all, but reduced the Pizotifen over a month or so, taking half the dose by the two week mark.  Whenever I had an attack, I increased the dose which in turn made the attack last longer. 

Speak to your doctor about Stugeron, but do not make any changes without discussion.  Hope this might help.

• Posted

Thankyou Susan.

I'm seeing my GP early next week, so I will ask about Stugeron. I Didn't realise how many people suffer from this.

At the moment I just have a permanent pressure in my head, and my legs are like jelly, and that's without the vertigo.

Thank you

• Posted

Hi, I have had very severe migraines and occasional vertigo for 30+ years. I have been taking sandomigran (Pizotifen) for approx 15-20 years (3 per day). But what I find with vertigo is that water in the ears causes an episode of vertigo for me, therefore whenever I'm swimming, washing hair whether at home or at the hairdressers or during any occasion when I could get water in my ears I use ear plugs (I find blue tack the best for my circumstances). This works for me, because if I'm in a situation where I don't have the blue tack then a vertigo attack always follows.

I am currently down to 2 tabs as I'm trying to reduce them as I've found I get very severe migraines when on antibiotics. I am coming to believe that when on antibiotics, the Sandomigran becomes ineffective and cease to work. With the resultant effect that I then go cold turkey on the sandomigtan. This apparently is unique to me as I've read all the literature put out by Novartis (also contacted them) and on the internet and can't find any association with the this interaction.

The reasons I've been able to drop back to 2 Sandomigran tabs is I'm using an electrode machine as a trial to see if I can stop taking them. I have been using it once a day for two months and reduced the Sandomigran 10 days ago (so far so good). I will wait another week before I drop back to one tablet.

For the past 2-3 years I've been trialling botox for my migraine with a Neurologist this was in a University research program at first in the hope I could stop taking the Sandomigran, however when I commenced reducing the tablets I got a severe migraine and haven't dared try reducing them again.

I'm just like every other migraine sufferer, who will try any mumbo jumbo or quackery to see if it works for them. I know when I commenced the Sandomigran it was a God send for me. I still get migraines but no-where as severe as previously.

I realise everyone's migraines or vertigo have different triggers. My main trigger is wine yeast either on it's own, in a marinade, or as an ingredient in cooked food.

I take cafergot when migraines are severe - tI believe hey have a known intereaction with antibiotics.

I will look into Stugeron for the migraines in place of Sandomigran if this electrode machine trial doesn't work for me.

I urge you to please at least try the ear plugs!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.