Vertigo / Severe Chronic Motion Sickness / Constant Nausea

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I have been battling Vertigo / Dizziness / Motion Sickness and chronic Nausea for nearly 2 years after a rough spell at sea in a Australian Navy Ship. I never knew what Vertigo was until I was struck down by it. I was treated with Stemetil for 18 months, then Cinnarizine and most recently completed a trial of Flurnarizine which did not work at all. My ENT Dr suggested Sandomigran (Pizotifen) which I am hoping will help in this regard. Currently I am unable to drive and can not even use a bus or train without instant motion sickness. Sometime just walking can make me motion sick. Initial feelings from Pizotifen seem promising. I too have been around to see a number of Neurologists and ENT and have been told that I have had a multitude of problems.

I will revisit this site and tell how well the Pizotifen has worked after a few weeks.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

how did the Pizotifen work? I have the same problem as you.
  • Posted

did you ever get better ?  I was swimming in a english channel relay in late june, got violently sick, on a boat for 15 hours and 3 weeks later am not getting better... almost seems like it is worsening,tips would be useful 
  • Posted

hi, l became aware l  had vertigo many years ago, and had fear of heights for years before that, l,d also had a couple of bouts of labrynthitus at simular time to vertigo, but they just seemed like some of the many symptoms l,d had for many years, which later was diagnosed as interstitiial cystitus, and treated with fairly good results. l did have occassional bouts of severe nausea lasting a few hours, maybe a day at times with loss of appetite. IC is like an immune condition and affects nervous system. But its been well settled for years,though in last year or so l,m getting more niggly symptoms, but bouts of severe nausea that lasts l to 4 wks, daily from waking, mild to moderate if sat about, with movement becomes severe, can only eat the odd biscuit or cracker, cant face meals, moderate exertion walking above 100yds, or household jobs make it worse, can feel chilled or flushed with it, tired, want to sleep. Restricting, following home, pets, social, existence only. Tried numerous antacids, ginger, nux vomica, and several prescribed from gp, who never come up with a reason or affective control of it.

l live on my own so dont have anyone to take over jobs, so have to do minimul at snails pace with breaks every 5-10min for it to settled a bit, frustrating, depressing. l do have frequent tinnitus, and dizzy spells at times. Any advice to reduce nausea be welcomed.

• Posted

i find that to reduce nausea i take deep breathes of cold air, so outside, or sip a cold glass of water. also sit down else you could get dizzy sometimes. i have had a loss of apetite and fors days i didnt eat a thing, eating some dry toast helps or someone dry can help. im not sure if you have but visit a doctor and ask them about cyclizine i was prescribed it a couple of weeks ago and just taking one of those helps to reduce nausea for hours. Hope this helped smile
    • Posted

hi  thanks for tips, lve had 2 or 3 prescribed anti nausea meds, cant recall all the names, one was lopra......, also try gaviscon and crystal ginger, they help a little. l do have to sit down to try settle it, and l do eat a lot of crackers, l,m feeling good that its settled  well the last week or so, just odd bouts, like having a life again in being able to move distances re more than loyds without it becomes severe, but l still dont want meals, l dont know if that is instinctive, or phycalogical. knowing meals can set it off, as with anything too flavoured, even flavoured spring water and l start repeating up,  so it seems l can only tolerate small plain food at present, even before nausea l would feel very full with only small meals, but  still a relief not to be overcome with severe nausea. lve got a referral to a gastroenterologist next week, see what he has to say,  but l wonder if its connected with bowel or bladder, as also problematic. l agree that stress is also a trigger  for me, but usual vicious circle in the symptoms cause more stress.  Interested to know what your diet is, are you able to eat a full meal, and does it make it worse if you do, if so do you just eat small amount of plain food, and  have you lost weight with it, think lve lost about a stone over last few month but was 2 stone oweight before, so hardly wasting away, but l  look very pale and drawn when its bad and sleep more with it, . l hope someone has other advice for you, l,ll let you know what the ologist has to say about it.  Hope yours settles a bit for you soon, not much fun having time offf school and feeling like .....
    • Posted

Thanks hopefully you will be sorted sounds like you have had it much longer than me. i took only one day off school this week mainly because i threw up and i havent slept a full 8 hrs in about 6 months, any tips on getting to sleep would be great. Hopefully you will be feeling better soon!
    • Posted

hi thanks for reply, my nausea had been settled fairly well for a week or, meaning l could walk more than l0yds without it becoming severe, felt better for that and less tired sleepy, day naps, but like you my nights are restless up and down. Yesterday with it being settled a week and feeling good with it, l got tempted when out and had a s f chicken fajito salad with coleslaw, so   nausea and tired sleepiness quite bad today. But maybe confirms to me that food other than small and plain aggrevates it.

l dont throw up with it, but think l would if l ate normal meals quantities, so now back on plain and small, rather do that than the nausea. But will see what gastro e says on tuesday. Maybe someone else can give tips on settled decent sleep, could do with some myself, not easy for those whove to go to school work feeling tired.   

• Posted

good for you i have to have small quantities of food sometimes i wont eat at all but going to school is tricky i mean i have to walk 1 and a half miles to school 3 miles each day and with me feeling sick and tired constantly its a real struggle.

hopefully you will find something useful on tuesday i hate those doctors who take a blood test or an x ray and dont even give you any results then the next time you visit the doctor they give you the results and it ends up you have something, so annoying, hopefully nothing serious and all will be fine i might have to have a blood test if it continues so hopefully you wont 

• Posted

Hi i suffer badly with sickness but im not quite sure why. I do get travel sickness but only once we start speeding or turn a fast corner, im only 15 you see and i have been recently prescribed cyclizine and it works sometimes but other times it just makes me eel worse. if anyone has any tips on how to calm sickness that would be great. I have been feeling stressed lately so due to the stress i think mine is caused but i spoke to the doctor and hse told me it could be or it could be travel sickness. If these dont work then i have to get a blood test to see if anything is wrong with me, i have been suffering with constant sickness for nearly a year but was only given the medication last week! i was too scared to go to the doctor but it helps to talk to someone and it was nice to finally get it sorted out, i still feel constantly sick like today i had to take the day off school because of this violent sickness. i hope someone has some tips that could help settle sickness i dotn want to pump my body full of chemicals all my life!
  • Posted

Hi there,

I sympathise fully and suffer the same debilitating condition- awaiting ENT review. Your blog has given me hope that there is a way forward in easing this condition.

Be good to know how you are doing?

Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.