very depressed, overly sensitive

Posted , 18 users are following.

This is my second bout of PMR.  The first time I really did not experience any side effects of the pred...with the exception of small weight gain and slightly moon faced. 

I have been back on pred for 2 months.  Started at 20mg.  I am now down to 15 mg.  I will be reducing by 1 mg / month until I reach 10 mg.  Then I will reduce by 1/2 mg/month.

Anyway, I am having a very difficult time with depression this time.  I am usually a pretty upbeat person, but I find myself sinking.  I am so unhappy,

I am also starting to have 'mild' suicidal thoughts.. aka maybe I should just take the whole bottle of Attivan.   As quick as the thought enters my mind, its gone. 

Adding to this PMR...my husband passed away 8 yrs ago.  I am now feeling like I did in the 2-3 yrs after. I am 62 yrs old. The only thing that keeps me going are my 9 grandkids.  The problem is that I have built my whole life around only these guys.  Prior to PMR and pred, I was doing fine.

Anyway...has anyone else experienced this. And if so what did you do?

I keep telling myself to stop feeling sorry for myself and move on.

I have no pain, Thank God.  It's just the head confusion, lack of focus and now depression.

Let me know if there are any solutions?

6 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Nandruff, firstly if you are feeling so depressed then you must pay a visit to your dr. Depression is corrosive and destructive and if you cannot dig yourself out of this then you will need some help. There is a thread ongoing (I don't know how to refer you to it, sorry!). But it's about accepting this condition and everything that goes with it.

for you, remember you beat it once before, and you can beat it again. Regards, tina

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear about your depression. I am 63 years old and have been on pred for 7 months for PMR. Before that I tried to deal with the pain with natural remedies (turmeric, green drinks and acupuncture)...Nothing worked and in the end I was feeling lack of focus and so much pain and stiffness and just a whole body feeling of unwellness that I tried pred and had INSTANT relief (and felt such a wonderful sense of well being which gradually diminished as I tapered)

i am feeling very well - no side effects and am on my second week of 7.5....

So, hearing that you've been hit twice with PMR and with no symptoms the first time..and now this..its so scary.....what a crazy disease!!

I would suggest you see your Dr. and also get some counselling or talk with friends.....or your children......

Take care and may you find some relief!

• Posted

You're fortunate you have no pain. Enjoy that!  Enjoy your grandchildren, they'll love it and remember it.  Look for something to volunteer for, it will get you "out of yourself."  Take walks and get out in nature, helps lift depression.  I did feel very depressed last month before I was dx with PMR, now on 40 mg. of prednisone, feel great and happy, only a little hand and ankle cramping and feel I have a lot to live for.  I do get worried sometimes especially in the middle of the night about what is going to happen to me, but that soon passes.  You are still quite young so try to enjoy the moments!  Good luck!!!
  • Posted

You need to contact your doctor asap as it is possible that the prednisolone could be the cause of your suicidal thoughts
  • Posted

Yes, Nanduff, I thnk I've been there. I've had a series of depressive moments in my life.  Although I'm pretty down from time to time right now, I am not in a suicidal state.  I have never taken any medication because I know the reason for my depression is always loneliness.  However I did learn something about suicide.  Once, when I was very young (about 21) I deliberately stepped in front of a car.  I have never forgotten the look of horror on the woman driver's face as she avoided me and I understood how utterly selfish that gesture of mine had been.  Much later, I must have been in my mid to late 40s, my youngest child in school, I had not yet found a job, I had my method of doing myself in all planned, and then I thought of that youngest child and realized what a terrible thing it would be to do to him.  And to the rest of the family, for that matter.  Whatever life feels like right now, the important thing is that suicide would only punish the people left behind.  Those grandchildren whom you love and who love you.  If there is any solace for me in being ill with this unpleasant disease and its accompanying side effects, it's that I have very full days looking after myself!  It's been hard for me because there was a sort of perfect storm of stressful things happening, which probably brought PMR into its full flower, not least of which was retirement.  It has been nearly 13 months since my last shift at work, and I still miss it and the superficial companionship from being with my congenial co-workers. I can't imagine  how hard it has been for you facing ill health without your life's companion.  But you are definitely not alone.

• Posted

Hey kid come on we're upright n breathing..it's not the nicest thing to have pmr n yes it has side effects half of which I am sure haven't even been found yet.... Grandkids ....how lucky are you....I just have to be walking along n start getting dizzy n yes am now enjoying getting rid of the 12kg in weight I have put on n still have pmr but I won't let it beat me....live is to short as it is to waste ....I am divorced as well n understand loneliness but you can work ya way through that.....maybe using the gkids as the driver..hope this helps
  • Posted

I wish I had grandkids.  I only have grand kitties.
    • Posted

There you go anhaga, kitties! I absolutely love cats. When we had our old dog we also had 3 cats too. Life is life and one by one they all died. Infact it was only when we rescued Katie, the dog we have now that we stopped having cats. Katie has behavioural issues and would simply kill a cat.

i have no doubt that your kitties bring you comfort and laughter and in turn you give them a lot of love. Regards, tina

• Posted

We have two cats.  One son and partner have three, daughter and partner have two.  Our cats do give us a lot of pleasure.
  • Posted

Nanduff,

I too am on my second round of PMR. Starting my 3rd year on Prednizone. My first year I noticed no side affects from the Prednizone. My second year, the bruising, mood changes gradually became more noticeable. Now starting my 3rd year my muscle tone is shrinking and I'm starting to feel my age unlike before. I am 62 yrs old and a widow now for 9 years. I have 4 grown daughters and 4 beautiful grandchildren and one more next year! I have a live in boyfriend for 2 years now but even with that there are times I feel sad. Just this week I had foot surgery and in 2 weeks have an intensive hysterectomy and rectocele surgery. His presence here is no help at all. I'm beginning to think there's not a man out there that can nurture. I'm always taking care of everyone, I just want someone to take care of me! I still find myself doing it all because it's easier than watching someone's eyes roll when asked to help.

Your depression is understandable, and I'm sure related to the Prednizone. I'm sure mine is.

If this continues with me I will seek medical help. I know stress feeds PMR, that's how I got in this mess.

So hang in there! Blame it on the meds! I have my ups and downs too! I'm usually a very up beat person, but it doesn't take much to bring me down!

• Posted

Pam, sometimes men just can't get it right can they?  As for being nurtured, I have long thought that the modern Western nuclear family is one of the worst possible models for families.  Where are the aunts and cousins and grandmothers and grown daughters who should live with us or just across the courtyard?  About fifteen (?) years ago I was with a group of women having an evening get-together and one of them brought my cup of tea to me and I nearly burst into tears because it was the first time since I'd had my chldren that someone had just performed a simple, spontaneous act of kindness towards me.  

Nanduff, do your grandchildren's parents know how sad you feel?  If they are wrapped up in child-rearing they may be oblivious to the fact that you need some nurturing too.  Hugs.

• Posted

You have to go to your GP and tell him what you have told us. Depression is depression - whether it is secondary to pred or due to anything else. It can be helped - either with talking therapies or with medication but you must face up to it and get help. I know - facing up to it when you are depressed is difficult but none of us can do it for you, you have to take the first steps.

The head confusion is probbaly the pred, it is also probably not helping the depression - but you need the pred for now so you have to get things sorted out a bit.

Go on - make the appointment on Monday morning. And ask someone to look after the bottle of Ativan for the moment.

You'll be fine - as long as you act. And let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Nanduff, You have already started helping yourself by taking the trouble and time to post here. That can't have been easy. The best thing you can do now is to talk to someone who can really help. Here on this forum you'll get so much support and we can share our experiences, but you need someone who is really familiar with depression and how to help with this. Please do this and tell us how it all went. We'll all be thinking of you.

Take care,  J

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.