Very Happy Patient

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I will try and keep this simple and give you an idea of what's coming.

I'm 37 years old and have been suffering from Advanced Left Hip Arthritis for the last 2,5 years.

I'm now recovering very well and i'm very happy with the whole thing.

I had my surgery on Thursday the 27th of August and was discharged on Sunday morning the 30th of August.

i had spinal and not total  anethesia as the waking up from it is much easier.

On the day of the surgery i didn't feel much as the morphine took a good few hours to completely leave my system and couldn't feel my legs.Normal.

Keep an eye for morphine side effects as itching and naussea but nothing major.

On day 2 Friday,the pain started but guess what?There was no joint pain just stiches and muscles.On Friday i actually took a sort walk with a walker.Not bad!

By Saturday the pain was going away and didn't need any painkillers at all.I took a good few walks with cruches on Saturday and started feeling stronger already,even though a bit light headed from the Meds.

Just go easy on the pill painkillers and ask for injective ones if available.

I found Tradol(Tramadol) very helpfull.

Expect bowl and bladder immobility until Saturday but it should go away.

On​ Sunday morning i could walk myself out from the Hospital,with cruches of course,but enjoyed the free ride from the porter smile

It's now Monday and i managed to walk myself to my GP which is only 20 meters from my house and on 1 crouch!

Super!

Boy was he shocked to see me standing in front of him...

Everything is working out great.I'm very carefull with certain movements and always have a pillow between my legs when i sleep,lying on my back of course.Sleeping on your back for at least 4 weeks is something you have to get used to.

What i wanted to mention after all that is 2 things:

-Don't be afraid,just go and do it.I know it seems like such a major surgery but all you are left with after you finish with it is a new hip and a kind of long scar on the side,which will heal in 4 weeks.

-GET UP AND WALK WHEN THEY TELL YOU TO.

You will regret it if you don't.

If you just lie on your bed feeling misserable and in pain,you will only prolong your stay in the hospital and will feel even more pain when you enentually decide to get out from the bed.

Take my word for it.I've seen others that didn't and i waved at them goodbye while they where still in bed and in agony.

I want to thank everyone who read this and wish you all good luck with the surgery and recovery.

Jorgos

7 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well done ! you have the right attitude and a positive outlook. The future is bright

Good Luck with the rest of your recovery.

Internet hugs

xx

• Posted

What a brilliant post for me who is nearing op.  Thank you so much.  As I have a massive phobia of sickness I will ask not to have morphine?  Is that possible do you think?

​I will do all I have been told however.  You are very young to have gone through this.

Alice

• Posted

I took codeine which did not upset my stomach.

However keep in mind that codeine and all prescription pain medications are all constipating. I drank a big glas of prune juice every day and took one stool softner at night. Thus I did not have any problems with consitpation and I did not experience nasua either.

Best of luck to you Alice, might want to get some prune juice in the refridgerator to have on hand.

I do not think they will discharge your from the hospital until you have a bowel movement, at least in France they don't.  Standing up or sitting in a chair is more conductive to having a bowel movement than laying in bed. I think I had my first BM 3 days after my surgery. You are restricted from eating 12 hours before the surgery so there is nothing in you to really BM out. Try to eat after your surgery to keep your bowels moving.

I know you have a sevear (not light) phobia on illness and hospitals but do not think witholding this information from you is the way to go. What do they say? Forewarned is forearmed. Next time I would need this surgery I would bring a small bottle of prune juice with me in my bag. It's important to get the BM going again after surgery and the prune juice does help in that area.

• Posted

Hi Alice,

morphine is unavoidable as it is the main or the only component of the spinal anesthetic.

To avoid sickness ask for that pill that insulates the stomach before they give you any antibiotics or painkillers.

Also they give an injection that takes the sickness away as soon as it appears,which i took twice and worked great.Sorry i don't remember the name of it.

Good luck dear

• Posted

Morphine is used in spinal, I had a spinal and had no effects from it, spinal is better than GA for nausea and sickness. Post op there are different analgesics that can be used with same effect as morphine. You'll be fine xx
    • Posted

Hi Ali 2. 

You can ask for an anti-emetic (anti-sickness) drug that will take away any nausea. I would mention it up front as you really could struggle without morphine. The anti-sickness drugs available are really quite good these days and should be able to be given IV through the cannula that will already be in place and given at the same time as the morphine. As long as they are aware of this up front they will keep you topped up with anti sickness medications.

There are solutions to pretty much everything. You just have to ask 😊 

Ali 1 xx

• Posted

Dear Jorgos ....

welcome to this wonderful family of hippies of all ages and in all stages !!!

and thank you for sharing your experience - very inspirational and encouraging, especially for the younger family members here ....great contribution ...

congratulations on a job well done .... 

please keep us posted on your progress 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Well done, I am waiting for my 2nd op hopefully will be in nov/dec time I had my first on 11th may, I still take the occasional pain killers cocodomol for the hip that needs to be done, I have been very lucky because I haven't need to have physio

• Posted

wow where did have your op done, and by whom, sounds amazing?
    • Posted

Hi Veronica,

I had it done in Ireland and in a town called Tralee.

It was done by Dr.Rice.

Yes i'm amazed myself,but realized that the recovery starts from day 1 post op and it's mostly depended on a possitive attitude and loads of action from myside.

Thanx

• Posted

Welcome Jorgos, good post . I'm 14 weeks post op and it's lovely although still get some minor aches if I do too much xx
    • Posted

Hi Gill,

glad to be here and glad to read you are doing fine.

Try not to do to much girl,i know it's hard but don't forget we don't have a natural hip anymore.

Thanx smile

• Posted

Well done, after my hip I was only in 2 nights, now 4 weeks post op and doing well, just find restrictions hard as think that I can do things that I shouldn't. Keep going xx
  • Posted

Hi jorgos,

What a great and positive post! Well done you, wishing you a continued speedy recovery,

Love

Lynne x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.