Very new to asthma - need advice please?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey all,

I'm extremely new to asthma. I'm 29 and never had it in my life or used an inhaler until 2 days ago.

To sum things up: I quit smoking last Feb after 13 years and noticed that after that I didn't cough any "gunk" up that people talk about coughing up. I developed asthma (never diagnosed other than MD listening to lungs and saying it sounds tight in there) out of the blue a few months later and was given Ventolin HFA.

I finally just used it (8 months later) and now it's causing me to cough up mucus. Is this a good thing?

I also just had a chest x ray Saturday for chest pain and it said I had mild hypo inflation and subtle bibasilar atelectasis so I know something is going on as to why I can't breathe very well.

I do also have a ton of allergies (that I was just tested for the first time in my life this year) and the ENT mentioned I'm probably going to need allergy shots down the lines.

**So basically, I wanna know if coughing up the mucus after the inhaler is normal and if allergy shots helped any of you with your asthma? Or any advice at all please! Thank you!**

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there in addition to asthma I have a nasal drip and rhinitis. When checking out my sinuses they did the allergy tests as a matter of course but all were negative so don't know much about that side of things. You probably no though that you can get allergy based asthma (triggers can include pollen, perfume, cigarette smoke especially ) never having smoked I don't know much about chest phlem once you quit apart from some one telling me there chest took about 3 months to clear (don't know if that statement has much substance though) my mum is on round the clock oxygen for other chest conditions and she frequently nebulises salbutamol as part of her maintenance nebulising routine. Nebulising salbutomal seems to be far more effective .I've had it in hospital emergency room and when I was hospitalised with pneumonia this year. My understanding is that give you the salbutamol through the nebuliser to loosen the chest and shift the mucus a bit.maybe the ventolin (salbutamol) reliever inhalor is just affecting you in a similar way because your body is not used to it?? Prob best to check with your doc for peace of mind.sorry but don't know much about the other condition you mentioned .again maybe the doc would explain any link with it to your current symptoms.good luck

• Posted

Hi Hayhue,

i also use the blue Ventolin inhaler and as with you I also cough up mucus that appears a very pale yellow/dirty white, this is normal and not to be worried about as its removing the build up on your airways! 

Good luck with the asthma and try to remember as long as you keep active it doesn't control your life it's unfortunately always in the background, make sure you use it regularly and correctly. 

All the best for your future! 

• Posted

hello coughing up mucus after you use your inhaler is common also I use allergy pills since allergies trigger my asthma. I don't know what hypo inflation or bibasilar atelectasis is so can't help there 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.