Very painful smear

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, i was looking for some advice. I had my second smear yesterday (i am 23, live in scotland so smears start at 20, and have no children)

It was extremely painful. The nurse was lovely and very sympathetic and tried a smaller speculum which was still painful and she isnt sure if she got enough cells.

I have always found sex very painful too to the extent that I avoid having it and my first smear was agony causing me to cry.

I was just wondering if i should be at all worried about this? if you have any ideas what might be causing this? if there is anything that can help? and if there is any chance for futrure smears of being given a relaxent/sedation/local anaesthetic (as if none of these are oprions I don't think i could bear going back again)

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cat Cuddles, (I love cats too)

I would be very careful having smears at your young age, you could end up in day procedure having an unnecessary biopsy or being over-treated. There is a VERY good reason why most countries do not test women before 25 or 30, it doesn't help, the same rare cases occur whether you screen or not, but testing leads to the MOST false positives of any age range and may lead to excess biopsies/over-treatment. These things can damage the cervix and lead to premature babies, the need for c-sections/cervical cerclage, miscarriages etc.

Scotland should have changed their program long ago. (the same applies to Australia)

Population pap testing is now outdated anyway, the ONLY women who have a small chance of benefiting from a pap test are the roughly 5% of women who are HPV+ and aged 30 to 60. MOST women are HPV- and not at risk, they can only be worried and harmed by pap testing.

IMO, the best program in the world for those women who want to test (I've never tested, an informed decision made many years ago) is the new Dutch program, they'll scrap their 7 pap test program, 5 yearly from 30 to 60, and offer instead 5 HPV primary tests at ages 30,35,40,50 and 60 and ONLY the roughly 5% who are HPV+ will be offered a 5 yearly pap test. (until they clear the virus) The Dutch also, have a self-test option, the Delphi Screener. See: HPV Today, Edition 24 

As for the pain, being nervous can make pap tests painful, but I know that many women find them painful, emotionally and/or physically, they can also, be VERY painful after menopause.

Also, being ready for sex helps, are you sufficiently aroused before penetration? (Don't answer that, just something to think about)

Also, there may be other reasons why you're experiencing pain, this website covers the topic well, it's by the Mayo Clinic.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/painful-intercourse/basics/definition/con-20033293

Re: pap testing: This is not new evidence by the way, the Finns have the lowest rates of this (always rare) cancer and since the 1960s they've only offered 7 pap tests, 5 yearly from 30 to 60, they also "treat" FAR fewer women, their program produces far fewer false positives. Australia in comparison has a very high referral rate (never mentioned, of course...) the lifetime risk of cc is 0.65% while our lifetime referral rate for colposcopy/biopsy is a huge 77%

Our program starts at 18, some girls are tested even earlier. 

Most of this damage is avoidable with evidence based testing and some respect for informed consent. Sadly, women cannot trust these programs, we should do our own research and make informed decisions and that may be a "No, thank you". (or not yet, not as often or I'll test myself for HPV at age 30)

I've also, recently rejected breast screening, after spending a lot of time doing my own research, asking lots of questions and even attending a medical conference. 

IMO, vested interests often influence these programs, excess increases risk to us, but also, increases profits. Politics is a factor too, these programs have a govt-set target to achieve.

GPs here also receive target payments for pap testing, a potential conflict of interest never mentioned to women. Women also, have been fed a very one-sided (I'd say more like screening "stories" or scary stories) and disrespectful presentation over the decades, the message has always been "Screen!" when informed consent requires the provision of balanced and complete information and the decision to screen OR NOT should rest with us.

We see very different treatment of men in prostate screening, it's time women received the same ethical and respectful treatment.

I'd urge you to read, read and read some more and then consider whether it's really in your interests to be putting yourself through screening at this stage, you may prefer to simply test yourself for HPV when you're 30. I understand the Scottish program will be changed in the next few years to remove those under 25. (still too early...) Dr Margaret McCartney, a Scottish GP, is an amazing doctor, her website is a treasure chest of REAL information. I'd recommend it to you and everyone else.

Kind regards

Elizabeth

• Posted

Hi there I'm exactly in the same position as you I'm wanting to know what can be done for patients who can't undergo smears due to difficulties the nurse I saw recommends it may be that i will require diazepam or a drink lol before going next time to help relax me but I feel relaxed just seems to be really sore and tight 
  • Posted

In a sense you should be scared because that kind of exam is terrifying, uncomfortable and to be honest with you, I have never met a single woman who has never complained about a "Pap smear". They are always uncomfortable and teeter on to the right down embarrassing. If you happen to be one of the million women out there who has an actual painful Pap smear. Than Dont worry some of us have more sensitive crevices than oothers. But please do not listen to this women like elix52 because that is horrible medical advice. If you do have abnormal cells make sure you get a regular Pap test every six months to make sure they do not grow into cervical cancer. Keep take of your body before it is out of your hands to do so
    • Posted

Eliz52 is right. Women should take note of what she says. Doctors have known for years that the HPV virus is essential for cervical cancer to have a chance of developing, so the test should really be to find who has a persistent infection of this virus, and not who has abnormal cells. It is the HPV virus which is the culprit. HPV self test kits have been around for years, but our UK NHS is witholding them, so that women either have to buy them online themselves or go through the painful speculum test. 

Although Scotland will be changing to a mimimum age of 25 for smear tests after May 2016, those whose 20th birthday falls before then will still be recalled at 20 and 23 years old. When research has confirmed that more harm than good is done by smear tests at this age, it shows that Scotland is determined to continue harming and abusing young women, in the face of evidence.

Smear tests are voluntary, a choice, and no-one should be forcing any woman to have this procedure if they do not want it. 

• Posted

Hi Carrie,

Many women remain unaware of the facts surrounding pap tests/pelvic exams because some doctors don't disclose any information prior to performing the test.  There is a great deal of misinformation and propaganda on the internet in relation to pap tests.  Cervical cancer is a rare type of cancer and has always been rare, but many women don't know this. Many women also remain unaware of the fact that they have a right to refuse to all tests/treatments.  I would recommend you do some more research before offering advice.  BTW, eliz52 is exceptionally knowledgable about this topic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.