Very Scared! Help!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi. I'm 41 with no children. I have a submucousal fibroid the size of an orange, pendulacated and intramural fibroids that are smaller. My MRI said that I have smaller ones but did not specify size. An 8mm fibroid was detected.

I'm scheduled for a D and C/hysteroscopy on 8/5 and then a robotic myomectomy on 8/19. All I can think about is cancer although my various ultrasounds and an MRI didn't show anything. My gyn and my gyn surgeon said if she had expected ANYTHING she would have sent me straight to an oncology surgeon. They told me that it was a long shot less than 1/1000 that any of the fibroids would be cancerous. Despite my this and friends who have also had the surgery telling me that everything will be fine, I have convinced myself that Something will be found. I was also told that since I am over 40 that the D and C/hysteroscopy is just something that they have to do because of my age and heavy bleeding. I don't know how I'm going to wait a week after surgery for the pathology reports of the fibroids.

I know that I sound ridiculous. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder 10 years ago so this experience has been a living hell.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Let me correct myself. One of my largest fibroids is intramural.
  • Posted

Hi Amber, I know it's hard but think positive, fibroids are almost never cancerous, it doesn't help to get stressed about them. I went through that, was told I might have endometrial cancer, but an MRI and hysteroscopy showed it was just fibroids. Also, you are getting rid of them, so you will no longer have to worry, it won't be long! Take care.

• Posted

Thank you for responding Christina. I so appreciate it. I am so happy to hear that you are healthy.

As I said, I struggle off and on with bipolar. I also know that I'm neurotic. It helped me in undergrad and grad but in life, not so much! Lol!

When this is all over I will post my experience to help others. Continue to be well!

• Posted

You poor thing! It's such a difficult process and I totally understand that no amount of statistics or reassurance will convince you until you get those results! 

Hopefully it will help to know of other stories. We often only hear of the dramatic stories and not all the many, many stories where nothing is found and everything is fine. Those stories are a bit boring! I hope my story will help...I was really stuggling with my health but thought it was all related to my stomach/diet related. I was working with a nutritionist and was trying diet to help things but was getting nowhere. They suggested I get a few tests for infections etc so I went to my GP and they asked to have a feel of my abdomen. She suggested I have an untrasound. Which I thought was pointless as I'd had my stomach looked at with an endoscopy and it was all fine. What she didn't tell me was that she felt a 'mass' and also added a blood test on to the ones I'd requested (CA125 levels). When I got my results, she was very serious and told me the ultrasound found fibroids and my uterus was bulky and retroverted and the blood test found a marker for ovarian cancer. I had been so ill for 2 years, it felt like I'd just been given a terminal diagnosis. I was told they'd repeat the test in 4 weeks, which came back even higher so I was even more convinced. I went on to have a laporoscopy (which was really not a bad experience at all) and other than my big fibroid & a medium one, there was nothing else going on in there- I was all fine! I had all that drama for abolutely nothing! I wish I could go back to myself during all that time and just tell myself that everything is going to be ok. The worry doesn't help, it actually makes it all worse. Just trust the process. What will be, will be (regardless of how much we worry!).

I hope this is of some help.  

• Posted

Betty that is awesome. Thank you for sharing your experience with me. Glad that you are doing well. You're right. The worrying this past week has made me miserable. I'm seeing a counselor today so I can decompress and maybe get back on medication.

Be well!

• Posted

Hi amber....I can give you even better stats to make you less worried! The 1/1000 is for women with problematic fibroids, but the actual stat for cancerous fibroids for the general female population is something like 2/1,000,000. So it is very VERY rare, in fact, fibroid cancer is one of THE most rare types of uterean cancers.

Believe me, I did a LOT of research as I WAS sent to an oncologist. My MRI showed an "abnormality" due to a degenerating fibroid. The only reason they didn't immediately give me a hysterectomy was my age (only 35) and the fact I hadn't yet had children and wished to preserve my fertility. That was enough of an incentive for them to do an investigative D&C and biopsy first, although they did tell me that if I'd completed my family they would have done a hysterectomy. 

I nearly went out of my mind with worry and scared myself stupid with all the online "research". Anyway, I was cleared of malignancy, and that was AFTER dodgy-looking MRI results and elevated CA125 levels. Whereas YOU have everything on your side--normal MRI and Ultrasound, and your gyns telling you it looks fine. 

Also, the type of cancer you're worried about it far more likely to occur in women over 65 and past menopause, so that's yet another thing on your side.

Please, try not to worry. Stress does horrible things to your mind and body which can cause their own illnesses, so it's best to just trust in the statistics and realize you have far more chance being hit by a car than getting cancerous fibroids, and I presume you don't spend every day worrying about being hit by a car!!!! smile

Hope this helps give you some peace of mind. 

Hugs, Rosie

• Posted

Thank you Rosie. You guys are incredible and so brave. I feel so ashamed. I just got back from seeing my counselor. She disclosed to me that she had a myomectomy. She calmed me down a bit and worked with me on my irrational thoughts.

My fibroids are actually problematic. I bleed heavily on day 2 and 3. I'm anemic also. I occasionally have mid cycle bleeding and constipation. But my symptoms aren't nearly as bad as some stories I've heard. No blood transfusions, fainting, bleeding for weeks and months at a time. Just trying to use positive self talk to get me through. But I must say I'm glad I found this place. My outlook is a bit better now because of all of you.

• Posted

There is absolutely no reason to feel ashamed! It is a scary journey for everyone, especially at the beginning, when you have no idea why your body is letting you down. The problem is there is not a lot of reliable information or public awareness about them, gps are sometimes quite unhelpful, and once you go looking online for the info you need to be informed on the subject, you tend to find all the horror stories. 

It's funny when you start talking to people, almost everyone knows someone who has had to deal with fibroids. It just isn't widely talked about, I suppose because it falls under the category of "womens issues". I literally went 34 years of my life without even having heard of them, which seems amazing given how common a problem they are.

Anyway, I'm glad you're feeling better, and I hope it all goes straight-forwardly for you. I'm sure you'll be just fine smile

xox Rosie

• Posted

Funny you mention that. Me and some of my family members were together rallying around my cousin who just started dialysis. I told them about my procedures. My other cousin goes "Female problems must run in our family." And I was like well why don't we talk about it! Lol.

• Posted

Hi Amber

​I alwasy read that fibroaid are rarely cancerus so try nt to worry. I got msyelf worked up over Hystocpsy amd nearly passed out when I ahd it as I worked msyefl up so much. I have been on ESyma to shrink the fibrid which had shrunk it. I would opt for a Myomectotrmy if you coudl ( I had one at agd 37 and it was best thing i did) unfortunatley the nasty fibroaid grew back!!

• Posted

Oh I hope you can find some peace and not put yourself through more than you need to. Maybe read about essential oils to try for anxiety and stress. I hope for the best for you.
  • Posted

I see it's been awhile since your surgery. How did it go? Updates please.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.