Vestibular neuritis and tinnitus

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello! I have also posted in the vertigo group so apologies if you see this twice!

10 months ago I had vertigo. I saw an ent and neurotologist and did vng and caloric testing which showed 24% weakness in my right ear. Hearing test was normal but I did have a slight drop in the 2k range in my left ear. 9 weeks after the vertigo attack I got tinnitus in my right ear and it's been constant ever since. Does anyone know why it would come on 9 weeks in? Can you have tinnitus for this long and still have a chance of it going?

For the most part I don't notice it unless it's quiet but sometimes it's in both ears, sometimes it goes high pitched and loud then settles down. Mostly it's always in my right ear but tonight I can hear it in both sad

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I cant be 100% sure but it could be down to anxiety. I had a low freq loud tinnitus in my left ear from an ear infection. Luckily its improved over time but ive had periods of high pitch ringing in both ears that can last weeks then calms right down to nothing.

I have no doubt its down to the fact that im always thinking about what my ears are doing causing me anxiety and tinnitus.

Ive learnt over the past months that your brain can be very powerful at causing some of these problems.

Matt

• Posted

I have wondered this too as my inner ear illness caused anxiety (which I still deal with) and I was having daily panic attacks. My ent said he believes Iv healed from VN and reckons my symptoms are all anxiety. Maybe a anti depressant will help me
    • Posted

Ive heard / read alot of people with T get other noises in both ears. Sometimes sounds like crickets or water rushing noises. Ive only just started to take antidepressants to help get my anxiety under control. It sounds like thats what possibly is. Just try to relax and think other people get it too and over time it should fade out.

​I think constantly listening to your ears increases the activity in the hearing part of the brain which is close to the part that causes anxiety too. The tinnintus is prob always there but our brains switch it off. If your anxious it creates a hightend sense of awareness.

• Posted

Same here. Do you guys feel Dizziness in you head ? I am feeling from last 2 months. I am hearing buzz sound in my both ears from last 2 years. Tinnitus problem I have.
    • Posted

Thanks but i have no loss of hearing which is a symptom of Meniere's disease. I never feel nausea, vomiting. Everything is fine just ring sound and Dizziness whole day.

"Meniere’s disease is a disorder that affects the inner ear. The inner ear is responsible for your balance, as well as hearing. This disorder causes vertigo (a sensation of spinning), hearing problems, and a ringing sound in the ear. Meniere’s disease usually affects only one ear."

1:- I have ring sound in both ears

2:- I don't hear loss at all

Do you know how to cure Meniere's disease ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.