Vestibular Neuritis ? Spaced out!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys,

Just wondered what people thought - I started about 13 weeks ago with what was diagnosed at the time as Labyrinthitis. I never experienced true 'spinning vestigo' but was totally disorientated as if I had necked a bottle of vodka - this lasted maybe 3-4 days of which I stayed in bed and over time I have steadily improved.

I paid for a private ENT consultant who was sceptical of the Labyrinthitis diagnosis. He suggested I go for hearing diagnostics caloric ect but at £400 I decided to give myself some time to see if I improve.

All my bloods were fine but for the past two months I've had a CONSTANT 'spaced out feeling' like I've had a few beers or maybe even some wacky backy (even tho I don't touch the stuff) my balance seems fine and have no other symptoms other than I seem to tail off towards the end of the day.

The doctors (as usual) put this spaced out feeling down to anxiety which of course I have a lot of for obvious reasons. I have tried an ssri for the past month but the feeling is exactly the same.

I this 'spaced out' feeling common in vestibular neuritis - does anybody have any advise??

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was given a diagnosis of bppv 10 years ago. Now they are saying menieres maybe. Without tests it's hard to narrow down. Even with them , it may change. ( As it had with me) I feel for you about the cost. I already spent my life's savings on the first round of tests. Now I will be getting more bills and really big ones. And I know there's no cure.

• Posted

HI Laurie you need the diagnostic tests like hearing and pressure test. Insist your doctor do these. Usually they will come back ok. Usually room spinning is more like bppv where crystals in the ear have dislodged. Your unsteadiness is very much like I have. I've had this since Feb 2016 with weird sensations when I looked at objects a feeling of floating. It can make you feel depressed and anxiety especially if you have to work or go out to shops etc. Was any medication to control it given to you. I found the good old travel sickness tablet cinnazine works best. If you get worse or experience bad nights sleeping noises in your ear or light flashes then get a ct scan. Again I had this and nothing was found. I have hydrops now problems with my tubes from my ears to throat no one seems bothered to help me on this. Still feeling spaced out but I do exercise like cycling and jogging. Or go for walks to train the brain. Get plenty of rest and limit tv and computers it can make it worse. In time it will get better or you learn to cope.

• Posted

Thanks Liz.

My gps keep palming me off with anxiety - but these symptoms started before the anxiety.

Is what I describes similar to you -? it's also as if I'm dreaming and similar to the strange sensation of being on a plane. I suffer from Tavel sickness especially when younger and I get regular ear infections the last one being particularly bad about two years ago which was psudenomas aringanosa. I will push for diagnostics.

• Posted

They gave me stemetil but was told it can slow down compensation/recovery so never took it.
  • Posted

I've had a change in symptoms in last 24hours.

Yesterday morning I woke and was sick twice but felt fine for rest of day (other than being spaced out) I also had plem in my throat on waking and my right ear felt 'crusty' like there has been a discharge.

This morning no sickness but I had plem in throat again and both ears feel 'full' again right ear slightly crusty.???

• Posted

Need to call your doc or ENT. Sounds like you got a bad ear infection.any infection that ends up in your throat (sinus,ear, etc) can go strep on you. You don't need that. Not sure where your from but the kids around here haven't even been back in school a month yet and it's running threw our schools like wild fire.

• Posted

I had phlegm in my throats it's coming from my blocked tubes. Still got it. I don't think it sinus it's from the ear but not painful just crackles. I have to move my jaw for any relief. Had it 3 months now and docs says my ears have no infection. But you may have so get it checked. I gargle with soda bicarbonate now as I have a sore throats today and a cold coming. My ears do feel full at times but no crusty like you describe so yes check it out. We all get weird dreams with these conditions noises in our head too. But so long as tests show our brain is ok then don't worry.

• Posted

Having hearing tests in Monday. Praying they find it!

I've noticed now i have what I call 'back pressure' where if I pinch my nose to pop my ears they pop but then make a 'popping noise' and seem to close back up- sounds like air or fluid leaking out of a tiny hole if you follow.

• Posted

If I blow my nose and my ears pop I get very dizzy. Try very hard not to make them pop.
  • Posted

I have vestibularneuronitis. Similar thing. Anti sickness Serc8 or Serc16 will help. Plenty of rest too
  • Posted

Unbelievable !

Travelled two hours to the hearing tests and the private doctor has forgotten his laptop so couldn't do them!

We talked about my symptoms and did a hearing test which was fine - said anything to worry about would usually show a abnormal hearing test. Thinks either vestibular damage / small euchestrian tubes or silent migraines.

Just notice me my neck as gone tight as hell at back from the car journey.

• Posted

I had mine set up , and they called and had to reschedule. Went from the 7th to the 21st. When I finally got in to see him he said he had to go to his grandsons 1st birthday party. He only works 2 days a week. I was not happy. Waited 3 weeks for the first app. Then had to wait 2 more.

• Posted

Wondering is this is all connected to hsv2 - I had an outbreak in July when I started being poorly and now I have another.

Can this have been the cause of my symptoms for all this time - like three months ?

• Posted

Been and had the diagnostic balance / caloric tests ect all results were fine. My general caloric response was 'on the low side' but was told many peoples were. Also has a difference of 9% between left and right.

• Posted

Mine started out like that. Real close. Now, ten years later , it's only 30 percent left side.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.