Vestibular Rehabili Therapy symptoms are worse

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone started VRT and the symptoms got worse? I feel more pressure in my head and I try to walk a mile and then hours later I feel like everything is off and I may start spinning. I've been in VRT for two weeks and do my excersises 3x a day if I can. Usually 5 sets of 6o seconds for most of them. I'm also trying to get out more since the Vestibular Neuronitis started so I'm not sure if I'm just pushing myself to hard which are making the symptoms worse???

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

When I started VRT I got much dizzier and the therapist said I was doing them to fast and long. I started the gaze stabilization for 2 mins doing the up and down and sude to side movements so I was I total of 4 mins each time, so we dropped it to 30 seconds each way and that helped and from there would add 15 seconds a week so the dizziness would last all week. I also had pressure to but once the head got used to it that stopped. I also do the standing in the corner with the chair in front and just stand there for 2 mins with my hand at my side but the key is to start with you feet about 3 inches apart and each week get them closer together this helps balance. Now she has added the corner thing with my eyes closed turning my head to the left and right.

It sounds like they have you doing to much to fast so you might want to tell the therapist so they can slow it down some. Some people can move fast but some of us can't. It's bad enough having dizzibess but to add to it, makes you want to stop all of the exercises.

• Posted

The therapist recommended slower excersises and for a shorter time but I'm a perfectionist and I wanted to do better and faster and more sets and incorporate walking too.. okay so you think it's normal that it got me worse... did I damage anything further by pushing myself so hard? I don't want to do more damage.
    • Posted

I wanted to do more also but it makes things worse and for me I would get very anxious because with mine my anxiety came back. So I think taking it slower lets the brain catch up easier. I figured even if it takes me longer to get better at least I won't be dizzier all the time. It's working very good now and I'm hoping the dizziness will ease off.
    • Posted

Thank u!!! What you said calmed me down... I just want to be able to go back to work and start living my life ..7 weeks of this has been hell! Ups and down!
  • Posted

Same thing happened to me.  For about a week my symptoms got worse. I wanted to cry and quite frankly I did.    I was doing it too much.  I cut back on the amount of repetitions. I cut back to 2 times a day.  I'm just trying to get to 3 now.  I was told by a number of people on a few message boards it gets worse before it gets better.  I think that's true.  I really think it's helping me.  It's such a slow process though.  
    • Posted

I was just taken back because the worse feelings didn't happen till hours later after the excersises and walking. It got so bad last night I almost spun. Thank go I had valium on me... I've been in VRT for two weeks so I guess I shouldn't push myself as much as I did.. but I don't realize how much I push myself till its too late. Because right after the excersise I feel fine... it's not till later that I start feeling worse.. does that make sense?
    • Posted

That's exactly how it was for me.  I'm part of a group on facebook Cure Vertigo Now Support Group.  The man that runs it (Bobby Gibbs) is a physical therapist who actually has VN.  I asked him questions and he got right back to me.  He also has a free book on Amazon called "The Vertigo Treatment: A simple step by step guide for treating vertigo".  It's very helpful and shows how to progress the exercises.  When I told him what was happening he suggested I cut back on the exercises.  His words were they're simple but very potent.  If you have a kindle or access to one download it.   It's very short (66 pages) and most of it is illustations.  It's very helpful and so is he.   He's in the U.K.  
    • Posted

Thank u sooo much I'm going to find it on fb and also look for that book!!!!
  • Posted

Did you have really bad anxiety too and brain fog? It's like I know where I am and the people and things around me but it almost seems like I'm in a fog or detached...
    • Posted

Yes I have that and it's horrible. It's the symptom I have most. I don't have vertigo any longer but u have the anxiety and brain fog. 
  • Posted

I have been going through the same mess too.  I am almost 15 weeks in from onset.  VRT makes me worse too, I have been going for nearly 6 weeks now. My balance is pretty good, but the eye exercises are hard on me.  I feel unsteady,fuzzy headed, lightheaded/woozy nearly all the time.  I will have an ok day here and there but even then its still with me!!I just wish it would end.
    • Posted

You sound just like me. Good balance but whoozy fuzzy light headed.
    • Posted

It is terrible.  I have two small kids and I feel like I am missing out on everything.  I don't feel like doing much anymore.  I miss running and playing outside with my boys.  Stores KILL me.  Last night and today haven't been good at all.  I am so tired of it.  How long have you had it now?
    • Posted

I've had it since September 2015. I will say the vestibular rehab helps. Today I'm feeling pretty good. But every day is different. Are you doing the VRT? The exercise I have most difficulty is following a pen with my head moving at an angle up/down left/right then right/left with one foot in front of the other. It's the toughest but challenges me. Push yourself. I know it's not easy. I do cry at bedtime. But I make myself live life. 💗
    • Posted

Wow, I'm sorry.  I don't wish this mess on anyone!!  How much have you progressed since Sept 2015?  I am scared this crap is never going away.

I started VRT about a month ago.  I don't see where it has helped yet.  But I am going to keep it up.

We work on balance at my weekly appt.  Right now they have me holding a card with a dot at arms length, feet together.  For one minute I took side to side keeping my eye on the dot, then for one mintue I look up and down.  THEN what gets me is I sit and move the card and my head in opposite direction (right and left, then up and down) while keeping focus on the dot

• Posted

I have more exercises than that and we've been going about the same amount of time. Maybe ask for a few more. Don't go too fast. I made that mistake and paid dearly. I'm better than I was but some days feel like square one. I'm trying everything. Vitamin regiments. Acupuncture. Neck exercises. You name it.
    • Posted

Yeah, he is taking it slow with me.  The first time I had to flow the moving card, it put me out of comission for days.  Yeah, I've been trying vitamins too.  Ginger and apple cide vinegar. Nothing yet is helping.  Crap, I'd stand on my head and spit quarters if it would make it GO AWAY. 
    • Posted

Don't give up I have had it intermittently over the last five and a half years. Worst time was when I could not sit up and had to cling onto the walls.I have had many falls.the last was in October when I hit my head and badly bruised my hands knees elbows and sacroiliac joint. I have had several MRI head and ear scans to rule out the nasties as I was so weak down one side I could not lift my leg or walk one foot in front of the other.I have been having Physio since October and my balance is much improved and I can carry washing upstairs without clinging onto walls.I don't need a stick anymore for balance.I still have daily headaches but have not been to bed so much this month with them.I can hang the washing out without missing the line.I know all our bodies are different but I use ear plugs at cinema and wear dark glasses so the brain does not get overloaded. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Wow! Luckily I have not had the feeling of falling over yet.. but it's more the dizziness and feeling of being drunk or stoned which is the worse...I'm not sure if they call that brain fog or not.

I did a half mile walk today which I felt off and unbalanced but I pushed through but hours later my brain starts to feel heavy...I'm exhausted and feel drunk... it's the worst feeling ever. It's like you're trapped in your brain and no way out

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.