VestibularTherapy a mistake?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I don't have my diagnosis yet but decided to give Vestibular Therapy a try.. I am SO much worse off and can do even less.

Has anyone else had this experience and how long did it take to get better from the worsening?

I might cancel the rest of the appointments.. In fact, probably will..

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I have not had any benefit I from VRT!!  they do say that it should feel worse when . You do theses exercises, and you have to,keep,doing them, I guess until you don,t but either way I don t feel any better!!
    • Posted

I am so devastated.. I did not need to feel worse.. I could accept that they just didn't work but to get worse is so upsetting.

I am going to cancel today because it doesn't make sense to me to not know what is wrong yet someone is trying to tell me what exercises I have to do.

• Posted

Trouble,is Cheryl they will just say ,'they are meant to make you feel,worse', so you can keep,doing them to retrain your brain.  Mine don,t,particularly make me feel,worse in fact, they are just ineffective whichmi will be telling them  at my next appointment.  there was someone on here a while ago,  and she actuallymentioned something about a Wi programme you get that is better.mThink her physio even suggested it.  You obviously need the Wi equipment, but I feel that would be much better than head shaking and lookingat chequer boards!!!
    • Posted

Yeah that's easy for them to say especially when they aren't the ones suffering.

I don't think I can bring myself to do another exercise knowing I could get even worse. Even if there was proof I would get better because I don't see how anyone knows if it will work except through trying it.

I can't just be an experiment.

• Posted

oh believe ,me I know where you,re coming from!  I haven,t bothered doing mine for days now, so don,t worry you,re not alone.  Have just been reading a bit about the wii board on VEDA.  have a look at it via Google, as it may be a better way.,, realise that pills and drugs are not gonna work for me, nor the VRT, but I am having to accept, like it or not,I'm am  gonna have to do something, so it may as well be something I semi enjoy doing and feel,some kind of benefit from.   also,are you on Messenger? As I read something else interesting the other day you may like to read, but I can only do links via that, not learned how to transfer onto here! 
    • Posted

Thanks, I'm going to research the Wii.

That would be great if something really worked and I could do it without a therapist telling me what she "thinks" I should do.

• Posted

Omg that sounds awful what did they do to you ?
    • Posted

I have no idea but to move my head back and forth looking at a letter plus a piece of paper counting black lines as they go by.. She tried a couple times to test for BPPV and I did ok but I wonder if she set something off doing it. Now I'm stuck being dizzier and am ready to just cry!!
    • Posted

I've had vestibular therapy about 4 times. The diagnostic testing--looking through goggles, having both eyes dark, turning my head left and right and back, etc.--did make me feel dizzy and nauseous. But it was necessary to see which ears (and eyes) were involved. I had been doing the Epley maneuver for 7 weeks on the left side. I got almost 90% better. But it was both ears! We learned this through all the testing. So then the PT did maneuvers on both ears. The diagnosis was clear BPPV. In 3 sessions it was gone. But the PT said I had remaining balance issues. She did walking exercises (some with my eyes closed) which were hard to do, but I had homework to do them twice a day. I really see that I am so much better; very little dizziness, although some of the walking exercises cause nausea. But again, I have to "retrain" my balance as I'm in danger of falls. This treatment for me is a revelation. Just keep in mind that the treatment itself does not feel good. I think the results are worth it.
  • Posted

I have been diagnosed with BPPV so hope they are not going to get me to do those exercises you are talking about. If I need to have crystals moved what is likely to be the therapy for that?
    • Posted

Pretty sure it will be the exercises but there are alot of different ones.. I'll be interested to know what they say.
    • Posted

Kathleen, it sounds like you might want the Epley Manouvre to realign the crystals. I've heard it wors wonders. 

Unfortunately my vertigo (and tinnitus, hyperacusis and sudden profound deafness) is cased by permanent damage to the inner ear (possibly caused by viral labrynthritis), so I'm doing the VRT, and although it made things worse to begin with I have got so much better have even managed a long haul holiday.

I haven't seen the physiotherapist - but downloaded some really good exercises from the internet. I was so depressed by the hearing loss and it's permanency and the tinnitus and hyperacusis, that I was determined to be able to conquer  one thing. Fingers crossed for you. I know it's a long process and may not work for all. My symptoms began in December and am still working on them.

I hope you find some relief soon, as I know how compltely debilitating it is.

• Posted

Thanks and so sorry for your deafness. My vertigo improved so physiotherapist said to leave it alone. After having teeth removed and some skin cancer issues it came back but not as bad. I am not doing anything for it at the moment and think it may be okay once all the other health issues are fixed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.