Vibration Therapy & Osteoporosis

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have recently been reading up on the "wonders" of the Power Plate. This is what I have researched so far.

." Vibration training can increase muscle strength 20 to 30 percent more than conventional strength training, while dramatically cutting training time. There are also a number of exercises that can be done on the machine. The vibration effectively increases the force placed on muscle fibres by three times the force of gravity.

Vibration therapy is one of the easiest ways known for  someone of any age or condition to increase joint mobility, muscle strength, overall circulation, bone strength and density, and overall fitness. When it comes to the treatment of osteoporosis and increasing muscle strength and overall stability, nothing besides weight lifting that can achieve similar results. Power Plates for personal use are very expensive but if compared to the cost and consequences of a hip fracture, then the price may not seem so high"

Does anyone use one or has experience of one?   - if so perhaps  they can share their experience.  

3 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

This was recommended to me when I first was diagnosed.  I investigated and apparently it is effective, although not as effective as regular exercise like walking.  I think it would be ideal for someone who is disabled for whatever reason and cannot do enough ordinary weight bearing exercise.  Definitely something for our toolkit!
    • Posted

Thank you for your comments Anhaga.

We have two in our local gym so perhaps i should be adding a few Power Plate session to my routine!

I'll not neglect the walking though, my fitbit reminds me to walk at least 10,000 steps every day! 

• Posted

I have been aiming for that too.  At the moment my 10,000 steps includes all my activity, so I guess at some point I should up the daily total to about 13,000.  Maybe next spring!
    • Posted

Oh youre lucky I can spend 60 minutes on a relatively hard work out in the gym and then find, because I'm not stepping,  that hardly any steps have been recorded,  frustrating but I know, I've been working hard and that's really all I'm concerned about!!!

Just keep exercising, we'll be rewarded one day!

• Posted

I am lucky, at least until the snow and ice lock us in, because I live near a harbout and can go for quite pleasant walks even in an urban setting.  I bought a treadmill lst winter out of desperation, but it doesn't really appeal the same way!
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with mild osteoporosis a few years ago and brouoght one of these vibration machines.  I use it every night for ten minutes, pulling up on elastic bands - like lifting weights When I was re-checked, my bone density had slightly improved, which was not what they were expecting.  Using the elasic bands must be doing some good; the additional vibrations may be helping, but they are not hurting and it is rather fun.  It cost a bit, but I don't regret the money.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. 

I have been reading about how during  the Russian space program, physicians noticed that the returning astronauts suffered from loss of bone mass and bone fractures at a much earlier age than was normal. They began to use whole body vibration devices to help strengthen astronauts’ bone mass and muscles.

I realize that vibration machines work on the principles of frequency and amplitude, and that can be  adjusted to suit your specific needs.,  The direction and intensity of the vibrations is what makes them effective or not. Some machines produce only vertical vibrations, whereas others produce vibrations up and down, front and back, and sideways. Up and down vibrations are believed to be most effective for producing rapid muscle contractions and I wondered what type of machine you are using.

With regards to improvement of bone density, it has been suggested that vibration therapy may induce nuclei inside the cells to trigger the release of osteoblasts, which are needed to build bone. 

I  have started to use a Power Plate at my gym but now intend to seek advice from a personal trainer re the best type of exercose I should do on it. 

Thank you so much for your encouragement. 

• Posted

I just bought a hypervibe, but am concerned about possible harm to my spine, they couldn't read my spine on the dxa...

Did you ever feel concerned? You did get results with the use? Can you tell me what brand you bought?

• Posted

Hi Mary can you please advice me as to what machine you bought.
    • Posted

I haven't yet bought my own machine but use a Power Plate at my gym. Very easy to programme it and great fun to use.
  • Posted

I was also diagnosed with osterporosis, I bought the hypervibe and got it yesterday. I did tons of research before I bought, but am still scared to do damage, especially to my spine. Can you give me your overall impression. Did you get a male and have any success with inward bmd?
  • Posted

hi, i am suffering from post polio osteoporosis.can you help me plz. what type of power plate you used. did you gone through low intensity vibration power plate, what could be the price of it
  • Posted

Just bought a vibrolite, only used it once for 3 mins definitely felt a difference in my muscles, going to use it maybe tomorrow , have to go slowly as have osteoporosis, fibro and injured discs, but heard good things about them will help me reach my weight loss goal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.