Vision changes

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

Besides fatigue has anyone else had significant vision changes with Tegretol(Carbamazapine).I have had vision changes(blurriness  and unable to read priint well at all). I was unsure if this was a side effect of the medicine or could this be part of TN?

Thank you.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I am experiencing this right now since my TN started up again and so started on Carbamezapine. It definitely is the drug. I am a teacher so it has been rough trying to focus on the students when I see two of them. I'm hoping I adjust soon to the meds. 
  • Posted

Hi,

My Dad had instant double vision when he increased the dose to 700mg,

He was fine on 200mg/day but when he upped to 300mg it made him very tired. He was really bad pain wise over Christmas and ended up on 600mg per day, he was so tired and foggy all the time, but he persevered and has got used to the increased dose now. He had gamma knife in January but has to keep up the tablet dose for 3 months then can gradually reduce the tablets.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply...

How is his vision now?

Also , what is gammam knife?I hope he gets some relief.

Anna

• Posted

Hi,

His vision is back to normal now, it was really bad Christmas Day (700mg) then he had another bad day, but it's all settled now.

Gamma knife is where the neurosurgeon uses gamma rays to burn part of the nerve in the hope that it stops the pain. The nerve problem is caused by the nerve touching the blood vessel, this enhances all feelings felt on that nerve. Hence the pain.

For the op a metal frame is attached to the head (that's the worse bit) then I think it's an MRI that you go into. The treatment itself was pain free.

Anymore questions let me know x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.