Vision Issues

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

Not sure whats up with me but i feel like i cant focus then all is ok. Been on and off for a week. Had an eye check and screening as im a type 2 Diabetic. The screening was all good but he noticed something and made an urgent appointment with the eye a and e at Burton. The doc said i have a weakness and im booked to go back Wedensday to have it repaired by laser. My first worry was i was losing my sight. Now im wondering if this is the cause of my problem or if im winding myself up. If im busy doing something i dont notice a problem. Think about it seem focus strange at what im staring at. Any advice would be great please

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

You could have a small leakage from one of the blood vessels in the retina.  Diabetic patients are more at risk than others of this sort of thing. Does it seem that you are looking through net curtains? or a rainy window?

Dont worry about the lasering which will seal off any leaking vessel,and you will probably be given follow up appts to keep a check on this condition. You may realise you have a blind area where the lasering has acted but this should balance out with looking with both eyes. I've had this done and I'm fine,and no further occurences.  If you are in UK and a driver,you should mention this to DVLC. It could invalidate your insurance if you dont.  Good luck 

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your response. My screening came back clear. No issue with blood vessels. After speaking to the doc he said i'ld be fine to carry on as normal the day after as long as i did'nt lift anything heavy for 7 days. He never mentioned blind spots rolleyes Does this go away of you just end up not noticing it? DVLA were informed but they seem to think im getting wound up about it all and said to follow the advice of the doctor. I've not used my car though since till i know im safe to drive. Not looking forward to Wedensday at all i must amit.
    • Posted

Just to add, no rainy windows or curtains.
    • Posted

Hi leon,

Due to a sport injury I have had laser treatment to repair two tears on my left retina.

I was nervous before the procedure.

The laser room will be put in darkness.

Your chin and head are held secure in a framwork.

Anaesthetic drops will be put in your eye so you won't feel a thing.

What happens then, I can only describe as a laser gun firing busts of laser fire into your eye.

Of course you will have to keep perfectly still and not blink.

It doesn't take long and it is not as bad as it sounds.

I did feel a little shakey after but I put that down to my prior anxiety.

Yes, I have a blind spot were the laser repair is.

This has shown up in the same place after a few feild vision tests.

The blind spot hasn't changed but at least it hasn't worsened either and I don't even notice it.

I also have side recession glaucoma which is also due to the injury trauma.

• Posted

Hi,

If the blood sugar level fluctuates and is not well controlled, it could lead to fluctuating vision as the high sugar level could make the lens inside the eye swell, which then could cause your symptom of fluctuating vision and inability to focus at times.

Fluctuating/not well controlled blood sugar levels could also, as Marina Dee mentioned, cause leaky retinal blood vessels. If those leakages are close to the macula, it could cause the macula to swell. Since the macula is used for your central vision and clearest vision, if it is swollen, your vision will be blurry and may flactuate. The leaky vessels would then be treated with a laser.

With any laser treatment of the retina, there would be a blind spot corresponding to the area of the laser. This blind spot will always be there (because the cells in that area we use to see are lasered off), but you will only notice it if you close the eye without the laser treatment. Your brain will be able to fill in that spot with both eyes open. Also, depending on where the laser spot is, if it is off the the far periphery of your vision, you probaby will never notice it.

I hope this helps!

• Posted

Thank you. Yeah i think in winding myself up. Last night i had a few Rum and Cokes. I dont drink often and what would you know no problems at all .
    • Posted

Yeah better day today. Been servicing my car without any problems at all. I think i was winding myself up. Still not looking forward to Wedensday though. This blind spot is going to worry me i know.
  • Posted

Dont worry leon. Its all very straightforward and painless if you are having laser treatment. Your eye will be anaesthetised and you will probably sit in a chair in a similar position to when your eyes are examined in hospital. I thought the actual lasering felt like tiny 'clicks' or 'fizzes'...but really nothing to get anxious about.    You may feel a little unsteady afterwards so should have someone with you,and no driving afterwards for several days. Let us know how you get on. msOD has given you good advice as well.
  • Posted

Thanks guys. Im going to have to go it alone as the wife needs to be about for the kids. Yeah im not driving at the moment till im told im ok too. Said 24 hours but i dont need my car anyway till the weekend. Will let you guys know how it goes. The vision was my real worry. Think its ok to be fair just me getting worked up. I have suffered with this before just was chest and not eyes. Im pretty sure the doc said it was quite low down in my eye so that sounds like its better than it could of ended up. Hoping i'll be ok to go back to work on Thursday as i just cant afford the time off.

Thanks again guys and will let you know how i get on

• Posted

Dont rush out of the hospital quickly if you dont have anyone with you. After lasering you can feel giddy,so just take your time...even if you are just sitting in the waiting room for 15 mins or so.  Take care and good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you and will do. Now i've had another problem crop up at work. Hoping its not going to become an issue. Will file another topic about that rolleyes
    • Posted

Had my op today. Feel rough tonight and still my pupil is dilated 7 hours later. Told this was normal tho. Not nice to go through but glad its over with. Vision is poor in that eye still but i put it down to my dilated pupil. Its better than it was. Hoping to return to work tomorrow if i feel better. Will let you know how i get on. Still worried about this new very bright LED lighting they have put in sad

• Posted

Well its been a while since my op and things have been fine. Had a few small problems tonight but checked my blood suger and noticed its 14.4. Because i work all day and never get a chance to get my meds the wife does this for me. But she has run out of some of it and i've had to have ago about it. Hopfully will get them tomorrow and get back on track again. Got to return to the eye doc again in the next few weeks to make sure everythings ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.