Vision Problem for almost 2 years.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had my vision problem for over 2 years. It came out of nowhere.

It is hard to explain, although I will try.

Firstly, it seems as though my central field of view has been reduced and the outer edges replaced with more peripheral vision. This makes reading difficult. When reading signs, number plates etc. I am unable to see the whole word and have to scan across before I am able to read it.

I have difficulty looking at things close up or that are small. It seems as though my eyes won't stay in a single position when looking at them. I have to try really hard to look at them.

My vision problem makes me very drowsy and gives me headaches and constant head pressure. I have to pop my ears constantly. It also makes concentrating difficult and reading very tiring.

I have been to opticians many times, with no indication of anything wrong. I must stress that my vision is not out of focus and it is not tunnel vision.

Thank you for your time,

James

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

So possibly a retinopathy or macular degeneration? That it came on suddenly points to the former, but I don't know the latter is to be excluded.

• Posted

How old are you James?  i agree with Robert T it sounds like macular degeneration. If you are in UK go and see your GP who can refer you to a consultant ophthalmologist for a more in depth examination. Not to be ignored.
    • Posted

I'm 20,

I've been to the opticians twice and also been to a private GP and all have said that my eyes are fine. I can assure you, something is wrong and it makes things very difficult. The very centre of my vision is the only place I can see properly. Every where else is basically as peripheral vision would be - I know things are there I just can't make out exactly what it is (not blurred, just not the centre of attention if you like).

I am going to book for the opticians again since it's been almost a year since my last proper test. Maybe since things have gotten worse it may be easier to see?

Thank you for your response

• Posted

James do you wear any sort of glasses?  It does sound a bit like tunnel vision. You say it came out of nowhere,but do you mean overnight or over days,or weeks etc.      Did you have a bang on the head around the same time or an illness or accident?   
    • Posted

I do not wear glasses. When I say it came out of nowhere I mean exactly that, I was working and all of a sudden my vision changed just like that. It hasnt gone back since. I had a cold shortly after which was quite bad, other than that nothing. Although I was knocked out playing Rugby maybe 8 months prior, don't think it would be related.

• Posted

I wouldnt be quite so dismissive of being knocked out,and then a sudden change of vision...even though it was 8 months later. Have you discussed these 2 things with your doctor? I'm wondering if this is a neurological problem,especially as your optician cant see any physical abnormality with your eyes. I would certainly pursue this problem until you get some answers,you are only 20 and dont want this affecting the rest of your life or even deteriorating. Have you had a brain scan?

• Posted

I haven't discussed being knocked out but I have mentioned the cold. Seeing the nuerologist is the next step, my doctor says it's unlikely that I'll get a brain scan though. I'll make sure to mention me being knocked out when I go there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.