Vision Problems with Post-Viral Fatigue

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been suffering with what I believe to be post-viral symptoms for around 6 weeks now.

The strangest thing being that the original viral infection wasn't actually that severe, but a few days after the fatigue, muscle weakness and odd symptoms began.

What bothers me the most is how it is affecting my vision, so I wondered if others might share if they've had any similar experiences?

For me I'm quite sensitive to light, so I'm constantly getting after images from TV screens etc. and pink shapes in my vision. The worst is that my vision seems quite shaky, almost as if my eye muscles are weak. This is most noticeable when I look at horizontal or vertical lines, such as on a door frame. They almost seem to vibrate.

This other one is really odd as well. When it's dark, anything that's lit up (e.g. a street light or a lit up bollard) seems to shake in my vision.

Has anyone else had any similar visual symptoms?

I've had my eyes checked out fully and an MRI head scan, and everything is clear.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hiya! 

I get vision problems, mine main issues are light sensitivity and blurred vision. I also got my eyes checked and it came out fine. I don't know if you have trouble looking at computer screens - I was finding looking at my computer screen was quite uncomfortable and would make me sort of sick - and someone recommended me a free download called f.lux and it's fantastic - definitely something worth giving a go if that's something you struggle with. 

• Posted

Good news on your test results.  Do you have any head pain?  All this visual goings on seem like a precursor to a migraine.  I sure hope you find out what is causing this.  Do the visual disturbances make you nauseous?  Did your opthamologist test your eyes for dryness?  Dry eyes causes various weirdness to manifest as can very tired eyes.  Do eye drops help at all?
  • Posted

Also, I wear dark glasses almost all the time ( especially watching tv) because of my sensitivity to light.  I hope the virus you had did not settle in your eyes or on your optic nerve.  I don't know how they would test for that but viruses are sneaky and unpredictable in their aftermath sometimes.  Again, good luck.  I hope you recover quickly.
  • Posted

Hi Markus,

Yes, I get after images and things shaking. I use the term oscillating to describe mine. Not all the time luckily. I have cfs./me and have only had these symptoms since the onset of this. I also get visual migraine and some doublevision. Do you ever get where it seems one eyes vision seems to go completely white? It's very odd stuff! Try not to let it bother you too much and rest your eyes. I don't watch tv only dvd and videos so my viewing time Is minimal. Can you listen to radio with your eyes closed instead for example?

Hope that helps

B

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.