Vit D deficiency is that all it is?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I be diagnosed low vit d and got a prescription for 1600mg for 6 months the 800ml rest of life

I'm 36 four kids youngest 5 months and these symptoms are hard work are they related to vit d

Hip pain

Pelvic pain

Pain under right rib when swallowing food (this is how it all started)

Tiredness

Weakness in joints all over

Anxiety ( could be post natal)

General unwell

Loss of appetite ( very unusual for me)

I heard it causes higher risk or colon cancer or its this just me over analyzing?

Advice greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I don't understand the life long bit

40000iu for ten weeks righted me. I would honestly ask Doc as speculating won't help x

• Posted

If you are low to start with there must be a reason - and 800 IU/day is a normal amount to be taking if you are considered an at-risk person. There is next to none in your diet and many people don't spend time in the sun without sunscreen and in the winter it makes no difference - all the time in the sun still won't produce vit D.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

• Posted

Ooops - forgot to say - it may have righted you at the time, it doesn't mean your blood level won't fall subsequently. It needs to be checked to find out or you can end up back where you were originally - that happened to a friend. She needed 2 lots of high dose vit D and now takes 2000 IU/day. For life.
  • Posted

Vit D deficiency can cause fatigue and general aches and joint pains, it can be quite debilitating if very low. What was your reading? It usually takes at least three months to actually see an improvement when you start taking supplements. As Jane says why have you been told to take them for the rest of your life? Does your doctor think you live in a cave and do not come out? I found lying in the sun really got my levels up and it was very pleasant with a cup of tea and a good book. Fifteen minutes is a good time to lie in the sun as you should not have sun block on to be able to absorb the vit D.
  • Posted

It said on the prescription when I questioned it she said that's how it is? I mentioned all my symptoms she said we will suck it and see this is after weeks of dr visits she said it was 33 not sure what that means Either clearly she's not helpful and I actually feel a nucience speaking to her
    • Posted

33 is low but not that low. Mine was 26 and it is now 72. 70 plus seems to be normal nowadays.
    • Posted

How long did it take you to get back to that? And did you have aches and pains?
    • Posted

If you feel awkward asking questions of your gp i would honestly consider changing doctors. You have a right to ask and expect sensible answers !
    • Posted

I got to 51 after about six months and 72 after eighteen months. I also have PMR and the aches are similar so I am not sure how bad the vit D aches were. 
  • Posted

Mine was roughly 9 or 13 can't remember. After ten weeks at 40000iu per week it is 61. I feel hugely better but still tire easily. Had been sleeping up to 18hrs a day at worst and occasionally had to use a wheel chair. I was also on folic acid 5mg a day for ten weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.