Vitamin B12 injections

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have recently had bloods come back with low vit b12 (100) so doc prescribed me injections. So i have 1 then go back for blood test in fortnight. This doesnt seem to be the norm and even the nurse that did the injection didnt seem to know why, anyone any ideas? I went to docs initially for an m.o.t as thought i was run down but after reading symptoms of b12 defficiency it all makes sense now. Just want to check i am getting the correct treatment. Thanks 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

hi nicki. sorry to hear u've been diagnosed with b12D. it's good, however, that u have it in hand & r about to embark on treatment.

whatever regime ur GP is proposing to use doesn't fit any of the rcommended b12 D treatment protocols in the research literature, or the recommended protocols by any of the related professioal bodies: namely NICE, the pernicous anaemia society (PAS) or /and the (the british committe for standards in haemotological (BCSH).

he/she may not be up to speed with these protocols so may need some sign posting.

a number of pivotal questions arise from his/her proposed precedure: 1) a blood test post one injection will most likely raise ur serum levels of b12 temporarily, so is likely to give a 'distorted' overall picture. however, one injectionwill be insufficient to treat the symptoms and prevent potential neurological damage. 2) the GP needs to establish why ur b12 D, whether through auto-immune activity, malabsorbition, lack of or too much Folate or/and deficient b12/folate rich foods in ur diet i.e. vegetarian/vegan or any of the other many reasons like specific medications. 3) s/he also needs to establish what ur Folate levels are before commencing u on b12.

reliable sources of info. can be accessed from 1)PAS 01656 769 717 - leave a msg & they will get back to u. see their website.2)Health Unlocked PAS have an EXCELLENT discussion forum, 3)see NICE & BCSH guidelines on line.

hope that helps for starters.

Caitlin

• Posted

I take Vit B12 tablets as I have an autoimmune disease which tends to make me have a low HB I hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hi Nicki,

Welcome to the world of needing to know more than your Drs. Caitlin has given some good advice. You should be on 6 loading injections of hydroxocobalamin over 2 weeks. Dependent on if u have neurological symptoms, eg, tingling or numbness etc in hands and or feet (can be intermittent), these injections should continue if you do until symptoms cease and then protocol is to have maintenance injections every 8-12 weeks.

You need to have your folate and ferritin checked too. If ur folate isn't high enough, it doesn't matter what amt B12 they give, it won't work. Once you have ur level recommended amt per day is 5mg to take.

Post ur full blood tests incl lab ranges on the Health Unlocked site and people will help you. Be aware that vit D may also be low and Thyroid problems often overlap - again a badly diagnosed illness.

Read a book called Could it Be B12- very easy and eye opening.

Have they looked at why? Read, read, read. Good luck!

• Posted

My GP told me it is better to have blood test after couple of B12 injection. I expect to have blood test after couple of injection and let's see what's gona happen. 
    • Posted

hi dhruba. it's pointless measuring b12 levels post a few injections. it simply measures the levels of INACTIVE b12 that's been pumped into the blood stream. at the most 80-90% of this is INACTIVE b12, doing nothing, other than giving 'false normal serum levels'. it doesn't even replinish the stores in the liver & other organs that require their stores stocking up post depletion. GP's treat according to these lab test results, instead of treating the client's/patient's presenting symptoms/clinical picture. also, the majority of b12 tests are notoriously inaccurate. they have only a 50% accurate rate. that means 50% of the time they give a false positive or/and a false negative reading. to add insult to injury different labs have different 'benchmark normal' parametres. a serum b12 level maybe considered normal in one lab i.e. no treatment required. in another lab action maybe indicated with the same result. to rely exclusively on such tests is dangerous in the extreme & risks allowing the progression of potential neurological damage to remain unhindered in the body. examination of the clinical picture is key in the proper diagnosis of b12D.
    • Posted

Hi caitlin

Thanks for your suggestion. Initially I had some weakness feeling and went to the GP to have blood test done, suddenly mu blood report came with Vitamin B12 level and D12 very low. I was seriously concerned with the result and my GP told me to have b12 shot and D tabs for couple of weeks. I am still not sure how this result came despite I am non-vegetarian and having foods consumed that contains b12 as well. It's some way worrying result.

I am waiting for the appontment with gastroenterologist to trace out the reasons behind this (vit B12 very low)

• Posted

Sorry to hear that, I am glad you are seeing a gastroenterologist as you may have a leaky gut! Don't be alarmed, I don't mean you have a hole in your intestines, I mean that your intestines may be not absorbing the neutrients from the food your consuming, or that your not eating the correct foods to supply your body's needs. The Gastoenterologist may wish to draw blood, to test for Coeliac Disease, which is common. If that is positive, he will advise you on an elimination diet, this will be to see what foods your body isn't tolerating. He will also press your stomacjh and ask you if you feel pain. Good luck you are very sensible as the digestive system is a good indicator of things if your body is slightly out of balance. 
    • Posted

It's like a bit interesting thing that I am still confused with the blood test report and want to have it done after a while. In some cases reports are some how different to the real ones. So it would be of great concern if little knowing is worthy rather than over reaction and over prescription.
  • Posted

Thanks for the replies, certainly given me something to think about!

great links Caitlin and book ordered Blue Dragon! 

I think i need to book another appointment and get to the bottom of the cause and then hopefully recieve propper treatment and get me better, at least i have a cause for all the symptoms i have which is a start ! X

• Posted

Well after my bloods came back 2 weeks after jab no1 my b12 has gone upto 462 from 100. I asked doc a lot of questions and one of which was  why he hadnt prescribed the initial booster of 6 injections over 2 weeks and the reply was" we only do this if you have anemia, Results still to come back from mri bloods, whatever that is but will repeat shots every 3 months" im so confused and not quite sure what to do next? I want to know the cause and doc dont seem bothered as long as bloods seem normal argh..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.