Vitamin D and BPH

Posted , 9 users are following.

In a recent study from China vitamin D deficiency appears to be associated with BPH symptoms. I have been taking vitamin D3 capsules twice a day for the past year and my symptoms have improved.

"After analyzing the findings, researchers found that 231 of the study participants had deficient levels of vitamin D. The deficiency was correlated with a significantly higher prostate volume, and a significantly lower maximum urinary flow.  Other distinguishing results observed in the deficient group included higher levels of aldosterone and higher levels of prostate-specific antigen values.

The researchers concluded that the findings show a strong association between vitamin D levels that are considered deficient and the presence of BPH.  This means that vitamin D levels could be a potential future clinical biomarker for the detection and prevention of BPH."

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Thanks Tom - I read something similar, here is some basic info from the NIH site: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23930605  

According to my internist, Vitamin D deficiency in men over 50 is very common. He said over 80% of his patients show a deficiency in their bloodwork. I too started taking a routine multi-vitamin which brought me back into the norms, but noticed no difference. So I am taking additional Vitamin D now to see if that helps.

• Posted

Just a side note... in addition to BPH, I'm a Mutpile Sclerosis patient. Typically MS patients have a vitamin D deficiency. In fact I just learned of this in relation to MS. I was recently tested for vitamin D deficiency... which I'm suffering from. I can probably assume I've had this deficiency for a long time. I have been dealing with MS in my early 30's and BPH when I was 45. I'm 64 now. Denis

• Posted

Thanks a lot, guys.

Good luck w/ both conditions, Denknee!

• Posted

Very, very interesting. My history: low vitamins D for maybe 10 years and also progressive bph worsening over same time period. In April 2016, obtained UroLift with good result. My Vitamine D issue resolved over a year ago with regular Vit. D supplements, but continued worsening to point I could not pee, hence the need to seek relief via Urolift. That my prostate did not shrink or otherwise improve with vitamins D supplementation does not disprove anything as Vit. D deficiency over so many years may have permanently enlarged my prostate to the point that the swelling could not be undone. Evidence to suggest this was the finding of a 3rd (median lobe) to my prostate. Many men are known to develop a median lobe to the prostate and long term Vit. D deficiency may well be the cause of this aberrant growth.all that said, I plan to continue to take highly absorbable Vit.D on a regular basis in the hope that my prostate swelling and/or median lobe growth does not continue to the point I will require further intervention of my bph.  For the moment I can only say I am very pleased with the UroLift intervention and I will continue with Vit.D supplementation and annual Vit.D monitoring.
    • Posted

After Urolift are you taking any medications ?
  • Posted

Interesting.  I was diagnosed with low vitamin D... and BPH.
  • Posted

I've also been vitamin D deficient and have a Median lobe, Thanks food for thought.

• Posted

Tom and all,

Since UroLift I discontinued Flomax one week post procedure and now take nothing for prostate issues, as I have no further bph symptoms. As for Vitamin D I take that in gel form as that form is most absorbed by the body. Absorption is a very important consideration as when I was first alerted to the fact I was Vitamin D deficient I was taking Vitamin D at the recommended dose and had been for several years and was still Vitamin D deficient. Only after taking liquid Vit.D, then subsequently gel caps did my blood test for vitamin D show a normal result. Take home point: just because you are taking Vit. D supplements does not mean you are absorbing what you are taking. It is important to take either liquid or gel  Vit. D which is highly absorbent and follow that up with annual blood assessment of Vitamine D.

• Posted

Hi Bill,

How much vitamin D are you taking daily?

Thanks

• Posted

Arlington, Vit. D3, 2000 IU daily. Again, I am taking gel caps that are highly absorbable. Other forms of Vit.D3 are poorly absorbed. Blood testing is paramount for assessing if you are responding appropriately. Required dosage may vary from one person to another.
    • Posted

One more question: What's the best brand of gelcaps you've found?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.