Vitamin d deficiency

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 52 I went to Doctors because I'm always tired, weak & suffer with joint stiffness & pain. Couldn't find any thing wrong. I had a vitamin d blood test. My result was 40 which is a little low. I have been told to take a supplement 1000 iu. Has anyone else had this kind of reading and what us the best vit d supplement out there to take?

thanks for reading 

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi

yes i have had low blood vitamin D. i was put on calcichew by my GP. he put me on 20 mcg / day. calcichew provides calcium as well as vitamin D.

make sure whichever supplement you take that it is D3 and not D2.

you can get pure vitamin D3 also.

i stayed away from multivits with vitamin D since there was no evidence that I needed those other vits so it was a waste.

check with your GP or the pharmacist what dose you should take.

also - be patient - the pains etc are horrid and they DO go (if caused by vit D insufficiency), but sometimes it takes some weeks before you notice a difference. 

good luck!

• Posted

Hi Louise,

I was also very low in Vit D and after taking a supplement for about 2 weeks my pains went away, also the tiredness went away. I cannot remember the dose I was prescribed from the Doctor, but it did the trick. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Louise, I was tested for vit D last year and had a reading of 26. I was prescribed vit D supplement by my GP and also sat outside with a cup of tea and a book for around twenty minutes each day and the reading went up to 52 in less than three months. I cannot sit out at the moment as it is freezing cold so my blood count has possibly dropped. I also try and eat oily fish and foods with vit D. Although food does not give you the full vit D you need, you need sunlight too. I am taking steroids which affect vit D and calcium in the body which may have accounted for my low reading. 
  • Posted

I saw a consultant because of a chronic cough that I'd had for a year. He said that I was D deficient and gave me 1000iu to take twice a week. The cough resolved within 1 week. He told me that D Deficiency can cause problems with immune system. Really? Is that correct?
    • Posted

yes, indeed, and host of other symptoms - fatigue, bone/muscle /nerve pain to mention a few.
  • Posted

I lived in Florida my whole life but moved to Northern Virginia 6 years ago. The very first winter I developed weezing and a cough. I would cough for so long (from December through March) I would have blood in my throat from the irritation. Went to a walk in clinic several times over the winter and received antibiotics which did not help. Finally the summer came and I was fine again. Second winter the same thing happened. I told my wife the north was going to kill me and I had to move. Tried antibiotics the second winter which again did not help. Finally the third winter came and I went for a physical (duh) and the doctor checked my Vitamin D. It was very low I forget the exact number. He told me to take 1000ui a day. Within 3 days the cough went away. Every October I start taking Vitamin D and have never had the issue again. Its been 6 years in Virginia and all is well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.