Vitamin D deficiency

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi, I have just been told that I have a level of 20 and I am deficient. I have been prescribed 20000 unit of fultium d3 daily for 15 days then 800 daily for 60 days before a repeat test. The Dr has given me a repeat for the 800 as she expects me to need it for at least a year. My symptoms are feeling very tearful, anxious and incredibly tired. Are these true vitamin d deficiency or am I wrongly blaming this deficiency. Thank you for your replies in advance.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

It is thought that around twenty five per cent of the UK population are deficient, because people are so busy sitting inside playing with their tablets, X boxes etc. My vit D was 26 and after about three months it went up. I think it was 52 after six months and it is now in the 70s. Vit D deficiency tends to cause joint and muscle pain and fatigue. Vit D is mainly gained from sunlight although a small percentage is also gained from a few foods. eg sardines, tuna, egg yolks, cheese, liver.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply may I ask which medication you were prescribed please.
  • Posted

Hi, I had blood tests in October last year and was found to be borderline Vit D deficient with a level of 27. I was put on a 6 week course of vit D 50,000 UI each week and was told to take 1000UI daily for the rest of my life and that I didn't need re-testing. I wasn't feeling at all great in October suffering form anxiety as well and probably only slightly better now.  

Hope you fell better soon

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, I thought 20000 daily was quite a high dose but obviously I am taking it. I'm usually quite a cheerful person but just feel quite low at the minute. Hope you continue to feel better too.

• Posted

You could ask your doctor to also check your Vitamin B12 and Folate levels as the list of animal foods Ptolomy mentioned are also the only natural sources of Vitamin B12.

Also the symptoms of Vitamin D and B12 deficiencies are similar

• Posted

Hi my B12 levels were fine apparently but don't think my folate got tested. Thank you

• Posted

When I get B12 test the folate test seems to be part of it, so you probably have been tested. I always ask for a printout of my blood tests which I find useful.
  • Posted

I had a serious vitamin D deficiency It is a test they do that isn't in the normal metabolic panel. I did I think it was like 50000 units for 8 weeks then tested again and I was fine...the muscles and all the emotional yuck was gone!eek

• Posted

Do you mind me asking after you had the very high dose what dose did they recommend you stay on.  I have been vitamin D deficient for at least a year and every 3 months I get my blood tested and the doctor just increased every from 3000 to 5000 units.  I really have no idea if this is an average amount for a usual dose or not.  When I saw in this post you had 50000 and the other 20000 I am wondering if I am still at a very low dose. I live in Florida in the US so I get year round sunshine and that never seems to help....although it has contributed to a few skin cancer spots because I just love the beach.  You cannot win...one doctor says go in the sun for vitamin D and the dermatologist says stay out of the sun.  I just laugh and say I will wear a hat. 
    • Posted

In order for vitamin d levels to increase your magnesium levels must be optimal. Otherwise you need to take vitamin d co-factors like magnesium and vitamin k2 (mk7) synthetic vitamin d uses these vitamins up fast. If you don't have enough, vitamin d can cause havoc in the body.

Taking vitamin d is like taking cholesterol medication to lower cholesterol instead of diet and life style change.

Vitamin d from the sun and diet are the best ways to get vitamin d because the body balances everything in harmony.

• Posted

Thank you I'm hoping the same happens to me too. It's horrible feeling so low.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.