vitamin d deficiency

Posted , 38 users are following.

Hi I have been having pain in my ribs and arms and shoulders for 4 months I don't seem to be getting anywhere with doctors I do have vitamin d deficiency and was Just wondering if it's anything to do with that doctors won't give straight answer please help

2 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Pain in the ribs, arms shoulders could be anything, best and first step would be to check if you've got hurt anywhere, next step would be to get some blood tests done, without a blood test you wouldn't know if you have vitamin D deficiency unless you know that you havent't been exposed to the sun for a good few years.
  • Posted

I have had blood test I have vitamin d deficiency I am on Colecalciferol 40.000 units a month i was wondering if the pains could be coz of the deficiency
    • Posted

I've been on 10,000 first for two weeks and now its 10,000 once a month. It's been six weeks and I can't feel any difference yet.

My GP gave me an article but then pointed at the title and said, 'just ignore this' the title is Vitamin D deficiency, Rickets and Osteomalacia. So I don't know if I have Osteomalacia or not. Someone else on here advised me that doctors won't tell you as they can't do anything about it. They can cure your Vitamin D deficency. Eventually any Ostemalicia may be reversible. But it's likely to take 6 to 24 months. I've got my information from article on this site and from an article in BMJ by Pearce and Cheetham.

• Posted

It depends how low it is, i think threshold is 80 anything below that is low. However, if it is very low like for example: 10 or something than yes, it is likely you would get pain, even if its something much below 80 like 30 could also be painful because the minimum your body must have 80+ . Anything above 80 is considered normal.

Looking at your dosage of 40,000 units tells me your vitamin D is very low, because normally doctors prescribe

1,000 to be taken once per day. My vitamin D level went down to about 30 and the doc gave me 10 oil based pills each 20,000 units and I had to take 5 each day for two days. So, taking 5 each day of 20,000 is like

5 x 20,000 = 100,000 units in total a day for 2 days.

On the leaflet inside the pack it says to take 1 every two weeks, wow! then vitamin D went up quickly back to its normally level of 80+ i checked with my doc.

If you were taking 1000 units for 28 days that would be 28,000 units a month but you're on 40,000 units so, again you can see its pretty low.

• Posted

Hi I have just been found to have vitamin D levels of 12 this, my Dr says

is very low, says he has not seen it so low in anyone since he worked in the hospital. He has prescribed colecalciferol 800iu equivalent to 20 micrograms.1 per day I don't know if this is enough what do you think?

• Posted

Hi, I have a vitamin D defiency with a level of 17. My doctor put me on colecalciferol 20000iu twice a week for 9 weeks so I have been prescribed a far higher dose. I would go back to your doctor and ask for another blood test to check your levels as it seems a very low dose compared to mine. let me know how you get on and good luck with your doctor.
    • Posted

Hi there, I'm 21 years old and have recently been very ill die to a recently diagnosed vitamin d deficiency of around 15-20.

My doctor advised me to research this and prescribed me tablets strength 20.000 units 5 times a day for two days, then 800 units once daily for 3 months.

Having looked online you are the only person I have come across to have taken this strength of tablets as everyone else seems to have them over a month or once weekly.

I just wondered if you had many side effects and should I get a second opinion or just follow what my doctor has said??

Thanks a lot x 

• Posted

Hi, I've taken 20,000 units twice a week for 9 weeks and then I waited a month for my blood test and my levels went up to 89. I'm now on 2200 once a week. . But yours is 100,000 units for 2 days which would equate to 5 weeks which I took 20000.I had no side effects at all. I think it's up to you as to whether to get a second opinion and If it will give you peace of mind.Theres seems to be no 1 size fits all attitude to what people should take by doctors.

I hope this helps you,

Caroline.

• Posted

hi Lucas. i'm wondering if your symptoms have responsed to the Vit D and to what degree? thank u in advance.
    • Posted

Hi, I never actually had any physical symptoms but my doctor decided to take the blood test and my level was very low at 17. I took 20000 iu tablets twice a week for nine weeks and then had a follow up blood test and my level went up to 79 so the tablets worked. I now take 2200iu tablet once a week and will have a follow up blood test in March.I have physical aches anyway but don't put that down to Vit D but having anxiety which manifests itself in tension backaches etc but thats another story.I hope this reply has been of help to you.
    • Posted

thank u Lucas. yes, that's helpful. it seems that Vit. D deficiency does tend to have a rather subjective expression. have u felt any benefits at all from the treatment? in respect of the anxiety Vit B 3 Niacin in it's activated form known as NADH does tend to help with anxiety.
    • Posted

Hi, I can't say I have felt any physical benefits from the treatment but knowing that my levels are fine now and having read about the associated effects of low levels of Vit D has made me feel psychologically better.Thanks for the info on Vit B 3.
    • Posted

Trex:

I am 52 and up until 4 years ago I waled a few miles a day, danced, did yoga, and all in all was a healthy fit person quite young for my age. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia which was a remnant from treatment for Hep C which I contracted from the NHS. I went from the life and soul to a recluse who only goes on journeys in the car with my partner,

I am in pain 24/7, and a few months ago my leg pain began to increase to such an extent that I am having trouble walking at all now.

I had blood tests for my Parathyroid and then yesterday was diagnosed with a severe Vitamin D deficiency so low the level is only 18. The pain is excrutiating, my cognitive functions are terrible, my memory is very sketchy and I feel as if I have aged at least 20 years,

I am now on FULTIUM-D3~800 IU 4 a day for 12 weeks as I am very ill. The pain IS CAUSED by the Deficiency. I had a very long chat with my GP yesterday and even though she is aware of how much I suffer from the Fibromyalgia, she is 100% certain that the increased pain is due to the severity of my Deficiency.

I am now being monitored closely for hypercalcaemia and other problems, in fact my GP is not even sure that the 12 week treatment will be successful, because the deficiency has been obviously getting worse for years. Then I'll be referred back to Endocrinology for "Maintenance" (I am already showing the classic signs of Osteoporosis.

Just wanted to set the record straight, as Obviously I am a sufferer and the previous lady you answered needed the truth.

Kind regards.

• Posted

Please excuse my spelling mistakes.
    • Posted

I was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 7 years ago and was told there was nothing they could do but in the last 6months the pains have become so bad and I was constantly tired so I went to my gp that done a blood test he also told me that I was vitamin d definance and gave me 20000u 3 times a week but I still can't seem to see how that can cause so much pain
    • Posted

abbie you are the only one that comes close to what I am being presribed.  Replesta (a chewable wafter) is 50,000 units. 2x per week for a month.  I feel like I am having side affects.... 
    • Posted

Hi mandi,

I wanted to ask you how are you doing with your vitamin d deficiency? I know it's been a few years but would be helpful to ask someone who has gone through it. As I am deficient and the symptoms are just nasty. I wonder how long will they eventually resolved.

• Posted

Hi I just find out I have low vitamin d 12 and trying to recover .. my Gp told me to take 1000 iu everyday .... how u feeling now ?? Any improvement
    • Posted

My level was 13, I no longer take d3 supplements because they made me feel worse. Supplemental d3 can be more harmful than helpful to some individuals.

My main source of vitamin d is from the sun. It's been 8 months and finally I can start to feel my body is beginning to rebalance itself. I don't feel great but better. Symptoms are getting milder and less intense.

I will get my levels rechecked this week. I will keep you posted.

• Posted

Hi  Iv just descorvered im low in vitamin D and have been prescribed 20.000 Iu a day for 2 weeks then 1 and month, Iv been suffering with pains in my legs arms back for a couple of years but have increased in pain over the past 6 months I call them my fibromyalgia  moments  Would this be a factor and how would my levels be so low ? I'm 41 being a mum of 3 so quite active !! Eat healthy and I'm outside most days !!

• Posted

Hi this is all new to me. I had blood work done ans the pharmacy called me to say i have to urgently start meds. I have been prescribed the same as you but for 10 weeks. I cant get a gp appointment until next week so dont know what my levels are but jusy wondered if this is a higj dose

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.