Vitamin D deficiency and low potassium?

Posted , 2 users are following.

In February my serum Vitamin D serum level was < 8 nmol/L [> 50.0] and after being on a very high dose of vitamin d supplements prescribed by my doc as well as sitting out in the sunshine for at least 15 mins daily throughtout the Summer my blood test results from yesterday's blood test remain at < 8 nmol/L [> 50.0] and I now have a low potassium result???  Any ideas what this could mean?  All my doc has done is handed me a leaflet on how to increase potassium in my diet!  

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I suffer from severe fatigue, double vision, muscle wastage and pain - my doc dodn't mention putting me on more vit d supplements or investigating why my levels have remained so low after taking such high supplemennts and sitting out in the sun!  Sometimes I despair with my doc! Ahhhh!

• Posted

Before I read your second post I was already going to say: find a different doctor!!!!

Since you have not increased your vit D level after high dose supplements your doctor needs to think about why. Ideally he should have checked your vit D level immediately you had finished the course and then again a few months later. You only have good blood levels because there is enough in your tissues - if you were so low then he may not have given enough to fill up the "bucket" to leave some over to overflow. It does happen that even after a course the reservoir on the body isn't what they call replete - and you need more than other people might do.

It does sound as if you aren't making any by the skin route - you were sitting out between 11am and 3pm and with no sunscreen weren't you? Otherwise you are unlikely to make any - the sun's rays must strike the skin at a high enough angle to trigger the process and that only happens around midday between May and September. Even Factor 8 sunscreen reduces the amount made by over 90%! Less than 10% comes from diet unless youa re eating a lot of oily fish, half a pound every day for example. 

The other possibility is malabsorption of some sort - and that would account for the low potassium level too. 

But either way - it does need more than telling you to eat more bananas and green veg!

• Posted

Thanks Eileen - I am going to make an appointment to see my doc.  And no, I didn't use any sunscreen and say out thoroughout mid day too!

• Posted

I forgot to say, your symptoms are all also suggestive of an autoimmune disorder as well as vit D deficiency so you need to see someone with a bit more get up and do something!

Good luck!

• Posted

I agree Eileen - I have been totalling up the potassium I take on a daily basis and I am over the daily rda so something is not right - I am going to push my doc for some investigations when I see him!
  • Posted

Hi as Eileen said autoimmune disorder, i think the gp should also be checkng your b12, am low on vit d b12 and potassium x
    • Posted

Thank you - I will make a note and ask him to x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.