Vitamin D deficiency, any advice or help?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been feeling il since I developed an abcess on my gum just after Christmas. The dentist refused to do anything but give my teeth several deep cleans and prescribed metraxidole, which made me feel ill. Since then I got a pain in my left arm, then my right barm as well. Then I felt weak, nausueus, dizzy, had tinnitus and a headache, and my hands started tingling.

After many visits to different GPs I finaly was tested for vitimin deficiency. My Vitamin D was 12 ng/ml and calcium was 2.17. The first GP I saw after getting the results (not the one who ordered the test) told me to buy a vitimin D supplement from the chemist but gave me no dosage. I talked to the doctor who ordered the test on the phone and she suggested taking three 25 microgram tablets a day. That was just under a week ago. Yesterday I had an apointment with her and asked if I should have sub-lingual vitiamm D, 3000 IU and she agreed, suggesting that I take two doses a day.

I am feeling a little better than I did on 7th September when I was first told to buy vitamin D tablets, and I've now been told to arrange a blood test for 3 months after starting taking the supplement. Ihave read that oral vitimin D can be more effective as it is absorbed by the mucous membrane but I don't want to risk taking too much. From my reading 100 micrograms (4000IU) a day is unlikely to produce toxicity, but if I take 2 x 3000IU a day for almost 3 months I'm worried about toxicity.

It seems that maybe my GP practise is saving money by not giving prescriptions if something can be bought OTC but of course I don't have written dosage instructions from my doctor.

I'm 65 and I've been feeling il al this year. I want the weakness, dizzyness and pains to go away ASAP but I've read some nasty things about vitamin D toxicity so would like advice of how much I can take safely.

Can anybody help with information about the deficiency, sympoms, and how long they last. I'd also like information about dosage over a 3 month period.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Wow, Susie. First thing I'd do would be to register with a different practice! 

The usual dosage for deficiency is 50k IU/wk for 8-12 weeks, so you're in the right ballpark with your 42k IU/wk for 12 weeks. There are no toxicity issues after three months at this dose. 

Vitamin D deficiency can cause osteomalacia (weakened bones) hence the pain in your arms, etc. and is a major risk factor for fracture, especially in a post menopausal woman. This deficiency is no laughing matter - I've had to give up my job and I'm still feeling weak and sore 7 months on. Don't expect to get better overnight. Although NHS guidelines say vitamin D deficiency and osteomalacia can be 'cured' in three months, Professor Holick, a world authority on vitamin D, says it is more likely to take up to a year in severe cases. 

If I were in your position, I have to say I'd be looking for another GP who would actually prescribe appropriate meds and answer my questions. 

Best of luck, Susie. Look after yourself. 

:-)

• Posted

My Vit D level was 17 and I was prescribed 40000 iu for 9 weeks. I then had another blood test and my level rose to 78. Having seen my blood test results toxicity is very unlikely and it will be best to get your levels up and remain normal and hopefully your side effects will ease. I agree about getting another doctor because your doesn't seem to have any interest in your deficiency. By the way I have been on 2000iu a week and had another test and my levels dropped to 59 so I'm now on 20000iu a week through the winter when there's little natural sunlight. I hope my situation helps you.
  • Posted

Susie, your vit D reading is pretty low. Mine was 26 and I have vit D and calcium supplements in prescription, although initially I was told to go to Holland & Barratt by a consultant. I have heard that the NHS are trying not to prescribe to anyone with a reading over 25 nowadays but get them to buy supplements iver the counter. It takes around three months for the body to start to build up its vit D so I would not worry about toxicity at the level you are at. Also you are having another blood test then anyway. I am sure it will have improved by then, mine went up to 62 but I did spend a lot of time lying in the garden with a book and cup of tea, a great excuse! It is getting a bit chilly now though.
  • Posted

Knowing not a lot about vitamin D except it comes from the sun and I read on the label of my cod liver oil/Seven Seas type cod liver oil plus omega 3 fish oil which I take a table spoonful of each day and have done for years on and off.

Says on the bottle that it is scientifically proven as a source of vitamin D for immunity and for muscles and bones.,Also helps blood pressure EPA and DHA and Heart EPA and DHA

Whether I am taking too much I do not know, but suspect a teaspoon may be better, but we are all different in size and shape, so who knows.Maybe follow your intuition!

• Posted

Just an update. I eventualy saw the GP who ordered the vitimin tests and asked her if I could ude Holand & Barrets 3000 IU sublingual spray. She said I could, twice a day (6000 total daily) after asking mt why I didn't want to take tablets (couldn't buy any that were as strong without a prescription). I still have joint pains but they're very mild compared to the past, and I have a blood test at the begining of December. No prescription has ever been offerred by any doctor in spite of my very low levels so I assume that it is now policy not to prescribe, or not to unless calcium was needed as well. The problem is that there are very few vitamin D preperations available without a prescription that are strong enough to build up amounts in the body, especialy when it's winter so no chance of a sunlight top-up, so buying can get costly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.