vitamin d deficiency please help

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi went docter today I was deficient in vitamin d and they gave me 40,000iu a week for 8 weeks but when my course finished I went back and they said gave 1,000iu daily but after 6 weeks or so got my bloods checked my vitamin d from 72 went down to 52. So today went back and now docter saying take 2,000 iu daily but docter did say that they don't kniw much about vitamin d I just wanted to ask you will 2,000iu get my levels back up or not??

I am very worried anyone else same like me docters not listening about vitamin d

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Your vitamin D may have gone down due to the cold weather as it mainly comes from sunshine. 52 is not a bad reading although 72 is better! Keep taking the tablets and then get a test in a couple of months time. 2,000 iu is quite a good dose. You are probably still well above a lot of people with a reading of 52, as I understand about twenty five per cent of the population is vit D deficient.
    • Posted

Hi ptolemy you based in the UK or US yea your right just anxious that them symtoms might come back please can you advise I live in yorkishire can I take more than 2 000iu or no or it doesn't matter which part of uk you live.

Have you had any experience with vitamin d

Thank you

• Posted

Yes I live in UK and was diagnosed with 26. Taking supplements and lying out in the sun I have now gone up to 76 but it has taken quite a while. I would not take more than 2,000 iu per day if Imwere you, you can overdo vit D, it is not like vit C where you just pee it out, it can be toxic if you take too much. You are not counted as deficient at 52. 
    • Posted

Have you checked yr levels now what are they now. And you still supplementing with d3 tablets if so how much iu
    • Posted

Now my level is 76 I do not need supplements? I was taking 800iu a day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.