Vitamin D Supplements and joint pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, 

I had a blood test in November and discivered I was vitmain D borderline defiicent. I was prescribed a high dose course of liquiid Vitamin D for 6 weeks and then told to take OTC 1000UI tablets one a day. 

I am however suffering joint pain (specifically knees) and feel like an old man (I'm 47). I'm also on other medication for another condition, but wondered if the Vit D could be the cause.

Thanks,

Stuart

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If you are Vitamin D deficient you may be Vitamin B12 deficient too as the natural sources from foods such as red meat, fish, seafoods, eggs, poultry and dairy produce are the same for both.

What sort of diet do you have?

Vitamin D can also be made by exposing the skin to sunshine but we don't get much of that at this time of the year so that adds to the chances of being deficient.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Clive.

I had my B12 tested as well and that came back in normal limits (over 500 as I recall). I like to think I have a balanced diet with lots of fruit and veg and mainly chicken.

I also have an arrhythmia for which I started a new medication in December - that may well be the cause as well.

• Posted

Low vit D can cause joint and muscle pain but it is also commonly found in autoimmune disorders - such as various inflammatory forms of arthritis. If the joint pain continues even a few months after your vit D is back to normal - and it can sometimes take a while to go away - ask your GP to refer you to a rheumatologist for further investigation.
  • Posted

It usually takes at least three months to get vitamin D up to a normal level and symptoms of deficiency can linger on that long. Did you have that pain before being tested for vit D deficiency? If it has got worse it may be something else.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.