Vitamins

Posted , 12 users are following.

Interested to hear if any fellow hippies take vitamins post op i.e fish oils etc. Any benefit at all? 🐟

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am taking Omega 3 fish oil supplement now and intend to continue after my hip replacement.  I don't take any other supplements but this was recommended by my GP and hopefully will help to keep my knees, left hip and other joints lasting a little longer.  Of course, it also has many other additional health benefits.

Cels x 

• Posted

Thanks Cels, will add that to my shopping list. X
  • Posted

Yep, I do fish oils as well and glucosamine. The 'surprise' OA in my hips diagnosis made me realise where else I have it, and have for a while.

I also started taking the cinnamon/honey/tumeric combo and (is it my imagination?) my fingers are less stiff and painful.

• Posted

I had heard that they are all brilliant but a combo has captured my imagination. How do you consume that cocktail? 
    • Posted

I'm interested in the cinnamon/honey/tumeric combo.  Can you tell me more please?

Cels x

• Posted

Just wanted to say that my OA was also a surprise. I went in to my GP because of knee pain. She sent me for x-rays, I come home with a new hip. Go figure. 
  • Posted

The cinnamon trio - I make a small jar every week and the ratios are four teaspoons honey to one teaspoon cinnamon (ground)  and half teaspoon tumeric (ground).

You must mix it really well or you'll gag!!!!

I take one teaspoon twice a day. You can also dissolve in hot water but you get the gritty bits at the bottom frown.

I also use a local honey.

All three are known for antiseptic/anti-inflamatory qualities and it does seem to be soothing for smaller joints (have no proof of larger ones!)

Garlic and ginger are also good for joints as well as cutting out processed food completely.

• Posted

Thanks for that Kate, I'll give it a try.  Apart from OA I've got the start of (I believe) some sort of rheumatoid arthritis in my right hand., Swollen, painful and had to remove my rings.  I can't take anti-inflammatories so that sounds like a plan biggrin
    • Posted

Thanks Kate, the combo concoction sounds interesting. I use loads of garlic in my cooking, so that's good to know. Didn't know that about ginger, I wonder if a ginger cake counts towards it?! If so, I think I'll bake one now. Purely for medicinal purposes, of course. 😉
  • Posted

I take fish oil and it has changed my life. But you need to take a lot - 9 grams per day. It has had lots of studies that show benefit at high doses.

I also take cinnamon for high blood sugars and it has done amazing things to my blood sugar levels. I take about 1 gram twice a day.

And the combination of the two seems to have helped my high cholesterol. The doctor is no longer pressuring me to go on stations, for which I am very grateful. They significantly increase the inflammation in my joints.

Hope this helps.

Kikeena

• Posted

I an no expert but I believe this combination is excellent for many conditions. I am also always happy to find a natural path.

Cels - I also have some swollen finger joints ( not helped by a stick or crutch) which is OA. They really have settled down lately and my friend has found small differences with her rheumatoid.

Dawn - get on with that medicinal cake. I think homeopathic medicine work by treating like with like so the ginger adds the heat! Also antiseptic.

Kikeena, I had high blood pressurel, last test showed normal range. There is something in it and if it helps get me off the drug cocktails I'm all for it.

My partner is on it now to combat very mild type 2 diabetes, we'll see!

• Posted

Yes, it may be OA, I always associated fingers and knuckles with RA for some reason.

Strangely, as we're talking about vitamins and supplements, I picked up some coconut water this morning as it was on special in the Co-op and I do like anything coconut flavoured.  I googled it (as you do) and it seems some people find it beneficial as a natural remedy for arthritis.  Not expecting miracles but thought I'd mention it.  You never know wink

I've had a really good morning pain-wise.  Shopped and hoovered all through and it makes me wonder at how strange OA can be.  I was in such pain over the weekend and even pulled a muscle in my stomach flopping about like a fish whilst trying to turn over in bed.  Today I am in very little pain, even though my hip is bone on bone.  Very odd.  

rolleyes

• Posted

I take cod liver oil tablets and glucosamine​ have done for years, not sure if it makes a difference but am hoping so in that....I won't have to have any other bits replaced! smile
  • Posted

There is another forum on here where all of this is discussed.  It is full of very rich advice and ideas.  I think it is called Alternative medicine...You might like it!

Dawn, USA 

• Posted

That forum is called Alternative and Complimentary medicine.  Lots of informed people on that site.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.