Vitiligo and hairloss

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hello. I am 21 and earlier this year was diagnosed with vitiligo. It has continued to spread on my hands and around my hips and more recently at the corners of my mouth. I was wondering if any one has suffered from hairloss with vitiligo? I was given Lamisil at first as the doctor thought it could be pityriasis versicolor, which it was not. The whole coming to terms with it has been both depressing and stressful so I'm putting it down to maybe just being due to stress. There has never been any early hairloss in the family and I don't think it's genetic as it ties in exactly with the time the vitiligo started to get worse. I've been told by the dermatologist that there is no connection between vitiligo and hairloss but I've heard of some one els who also had the same.

I have started using Protopic cream in the hope that it may stop the vitiligo spreading.

I'm grateful for any advice you may have.

All the best

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. I have had vitiligo since I was 21. It started as just one tiny spot. I spread to an area around my mouth and cheek. When I became pregnant at 22 it stopped spreading and has not started again. BUT i have had hairloss. I have long hair. sometimes it doesnt fall as much but it has started to fall alot. it is worse at the front. I think I will go bald there soon. I have been to the doctor. there is a link between vitiligo and hairloss. it doesnt happen to all people though. If you wanna talk email me. I know the feeling.
    • Posted

Try taking Biotin. My daughter and I started taking 10,000 mcg and within in a month noticed a difference, both of us.  Try it, it is not an expensive vitamin.  
  • Posted

[quote:76df17b7ad=\"Anonymous\"]Hello. I am 21 and earlier this year was diagnosed with vitiligo. It has continued to spread on my hands and around my hips and more recently at the corners of my mouth. I was wondering if any one has suffered from hairloss with vitiligo? I was given Lamisil at first as the doctor thought it could be pityriasis versicolor, which it was not. The whole coming to terms with it has been both depressing and stressful so I'm putting it down to maybe just being due to stress. There has never been any early hairloss in the family and I don't think it's genetic as it ties in exactly with the time the vitiligo started to get worse. I've been told by the dermatologist that there is no connection between vitiligo and hairloss but I've heard of some one els who also had the same.

I have started using Protopic cream in the hope that it may stop the vitiligo spreading.

I'm grateful for any advice you may have.

All the best[/quote:76df17b7ad]

I'm 22 years old and have had vitiligo since the age of seven. I've never had hairloss associated with the condition itself but if I find myself getting very stressed about it, I do have some hairloss. The most significant difference in my hair was white hair where I have spots on my head. Hope that helps a bit!

• Posted

Hi All

I know that Vitiligo gets wrose when your stressed. Maybethe stressing is causing alophecia and its a domino effect?

• Posted

Hi. Both my parent have Vitiligo and recently iv started to get small white patches on my back, which i can only assume so far that it is the same. A couple of months ago i noticed my hair was easily damaged and i lost more when i was washing it or brushing it, which i thought was quite wierd since im only 18 and it doesnt run in my family either! But since you've mentioned it, it would make sense if the two were linked! Have you found anything to slow it or even stop it?

Cheers

K

• Posted

I have suffered vit for 20 years my hands are 100% complete vit with other patches to my genicles, feet , and elbows ect. And I had lost 50% of my hair not in patches but in thinning.. I have started taking vitamin B12 and my hair is thickening up.. But also I am getting a strange sensation to my hands like an elastic band flicking against them and then at least 62 little brown freakles have appeared like by some Miricle my pigment is returning I haven't a clue what's going on.. But don't want to get excited to soon only to be disappointed.. I hate my life with vitiligo yet really I feel so selfish that there is much worse suffering in the world than a few white patches :-)
    • Posted

Hi Julie. I  too have vitiligo and it's very depressing. Two weeks ago I began to experience large amounts of hair loss. How long have you been taking b12 and how much hair loss did you experience?
    • Posted

Hi julie. Even i'm having vitiligo on hands and legs mostly since past 14yrs. Also i'm having very bad hair fall. due to which i have lost half of my hair. Its getting thinner day by day. Have tried various medicines for vitiligo and hairfall but it only got worst with time. Don't understand what to do now. First is hair fall and vitiligo  linked? Second should i also start taking B12? How much have you recovered now, i saw your post is 1 yr old almost.
  • Posted

Interesting reading these comments. I have had vitiligo since I was 21. I am now in my 60's and have managed to live wih it quite well and not get too down about it. I think this is mainly because I'm an artist and have devised various camouflage coping remedies. However, I have noticed recently that my hair is getting thin on top. I do know that if i was bald the skin on my scalp would probably be devoid of pigment. I'm trying not to panic and massaging with Kerastase initialiste serum and have bought some coloured fibres that stick to the hair via static. I don't think I'm anaemic or have an underactive thyroid (two common causes) so I'm wondering if there's a link with vitiligo.
  • Posted

Hi to all, I'm a mum of 2. william 9 and Sienna 6. Last sept I noticed a lack of colour to my daughters left eye lid. Vitiligo. I was devasted (understatement) I really was naive because I thought older people get it not children.

I'm British but we live in Rome. We are seeing Doctor Giovanni Leone.

He has managed to "cure" both eyelids with photo therapy.

I'm very happy but I know there's a long road ahead. .......

What else can I do???

Very sad mum

• Posted

Hello,  my daughter of 8 years developed Vitiligo on the same part on top of the eye,only on one area i took her to a skin doctor in June they gave us Protopic cream of 0.03 to apply at night but i see there is no change yet. Can you kindly write for me what treatment you were given what it entails.

• Posted

Hi,

My 4 year old son was diagnosed with vitiligo when he developed white patches on his face. We are also using Protopic but we are using .1% strength and twice daily in the morning and evening. So check with your Dermat on the strength. Also it's a slow Process and our Dermat says to wait at least 3 months to see improvement

• Posted

Ok. I was told 0.03 its for kids my daughter is 8 years but we only apply once at night i was told we should also wait for at least for 3 months to see if there will be improvements. Update me if there will be improvements in 0.01%which you are using.
    • Posted

Yes my son is also only 4 years old. 0.1% is better and that too twice daily. We are seeing slow improvement. 
  • Posted

To start, I am a female.  I had a small white patch for years and kived in thew sun.  I tanned naturally and never needed sunscreen because I didn't burn unless at the beginning of summer I spent too long in the sun and water.  A couple of years ago I started to notice another white area and from there it just spread everywhere.  I don't tan anymore, I burn very easily, I have to wear sunscreen and be very careful.  I can live with all that, but then my hair started to thin, especially in the front. I was even losing my eyebrows and the hair on my skin and what was left was turning translucent.  I started taking hair vitamins (over the counter) along with flax (good for hair and skin).  It stopped the hair loss, some of my eyebrows have come back though I have to put some color on them to be seen, but there are there again.  My hair has thickened, but much slower in the front, I don't know why, but I notice a difference.  I color my hair to not look bald.  Since the vitamins benefit in other ways, I don't mind taking them.  I am 62, so if I can turn it around at my age and gender, it wouldn't hurt to try.  Good luck!
    • Posted

Me again.  I want to add that this did not happen over night.  It took a few months for a noticable change for me.  Don't get discouraged. We are all different so it might be quicker for you.  Again, good luck and God bless.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.