vitimin D

Posted , 6 users are following.

I watched a food programme on the tv, andd it stated that mushrooms have VitD in them anD IF THEY ARE IN THE SUN THIS INCREASES, well i love mushrooms , any and even more so oriental ones and i may be stupid bit i do leave them in the sun for an hour or so, hubby laughs at me but hey ho i will try anything (within reason) to increase my VitD and since taking the supplements i have felt 100% better, i seem to be able to walk more now, (3 to 4 miles) i used to do 5 to 10 miles in a day before pre pred.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Supplements are the easy way to deal with vit D - I see in a DM article from April 2013 that one portion provides 400 IU so you'd need a lot of mushrooms to get 2000 IU which is the recommended amount they say. Here's the title bit - you'll find it by googling the text.

"Mushrooms can provide as much vitamin D as supplements - but only if you put them in the sun before you eat them

Mushrooms transform UV light into vitamin D

Sun-exposed mushrooms are as effective at boosting and maintaining vitamin D levels as supplements are

Have to be in summer sun for 60 minutes to produce vitamin D - cooking doesn't reduce the vitamin level"

Says they were being put out in the sun in other countries. Obviously makes the local wild chanterelles that the stalls sell here even better value for money after they've been sitting there in the sun all morning!

• Posted

And for completeness - if you google ways of getting vit D many of the sites tell you that there is vit D in milk and orange juice - not in Europe! Cereals probably do have some - but again they are probably not "fortified" in the same way they are in the US. During WWII and some of the 1950s foods were also fortified in the UK and the rest of Europe but it was discontinued after a vit D "poisoning" scare when someone made a mistake and added too much to something which made small children ill.

Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater!

"The fortification of milk with vitamin D was also adopted in Europe; however, the process was not closely monitored, and in Great Britain it caused an outbreak of vitamin D intoxication, or hypercalcemia, the clinical manifestations of which are loss of appetite, lethargy, excessive thirst and polyuria, nausea and vomitingconstipation, and muscle weakness, and renal failure if the hypercalcemic state is unrecognized and prolonged. This outbreak led to the banning of the vitamin D fortification of milk in most of Europe."

• Posted

So Eileen i can tell my hubby its not a load of s..........t, sorry for bad language as he thinks.

I just love mushrooms, and never knew that untill the programme on tv said so, just go to show how we can learn, and i did google mushrooms after the programme.

• Posted

My mum used national dried milk for rice pudding and yorkshire puddings during the war and afterwards when we got freshmilk it was straight from the farm and sometimes still warm it was brought in a jug.

• Posted

Yup - he doesn't know it all!

I love mushrooms too but you only get enormous packs here so I use them less - though to be fair they keep far better than Tesco's ones. 

This time of year is fresh Pfifferling time here - chanterelles I think. And Steinpilze - porcini, (boletus edulis). Glorious! I had polenta with venison stew and fresh Pfifferlinge on Tuesday night ...

• Posted

We had our own cow - I waited for my grandfather to bring the bucket in and dipped my mug.

Our girls also drank milk like that when we lived on a farm in Germany  - warm from the cow.

• Posted

lucky you, we kept pigs which was our christmas turkey, so to speak as we only killed them at christmas, and untill he died my dad always liked pork with his christmas dinner bless him.
    • Posted

Oh venison and mushrooms, dumplings as well, do you know i might just do dumplings stopped having them when because of the fat , my mum used dripping grated from a lump of pig fat, of god the nutrientionist would have hated that. lol
    • Posted

We had pigs too but didn't slaughter our own - I had to wait until we lived in Germany in the 1980s for that! Our landlord killled a pig every late autumn and spent the day in one of the tenant's garages butchering it. That was a brilliant dinner that night - home made bratwurst! We body-swerved the "slaughter pot" though.

Are you sure it was pig fat Margaret? I got "kidney fat" to make my own suet for Christmas when we lived in Germany - but it was always beef, much harder and easier to grate.

Nothing wrong with fat in moderation - as they have finally decided! I never did buy the cholesterol and fat story.

• Posted

you might be right Eileen, but i know we used every bit of the pig, dad used to make our own pressed pig cheak best ever.

I agree with you regarding the fat story, we were always brought up with some fat, and dad used to say it" greases your chest lass" for winter.

bless him

• Posted

Get yourself out into the sunshine, too....that's how we absorb Vit D. smile xx
    • Posted

Thats fine untill like me you have to have 60 plus factor for Vitiligo and then the cream keeps the VitD from getting to you, 15 years is how long i have had it, and yes i did eat all the foods that have the vitimin in, but none of the doctors ever said to take a supplement, ignorance is the factor why people never learn, yes we have the internet but not everybody uses them.

Do you live in England as next week there is a programme coming on regard the effects of not getting enough VitD it will be worth watching. Regards Mags

• Posted

OH by the way i do lots and lots of walking in the sun when we have some

that is, and the other it was sunny sat outside having lunch with my face to the sun, 

• Posted

I've just said somewhere else - I am out in the sun a lot and don't use sunscreen unless I know I will be out in strong sunshine and could get burnt, normally I just wear a shirt, keep to the shady side of the street and wear a hat - and don't "sunbathe".  I also spent a lot of time in Italy - I now live here - but I still had a vit D level of 21. 

The only way to know is to measure it regularly - and take supplements if your level is too low. Diet (for a bit) and sun are both good - but not reliable. The "skin factory" works when it is working well - but it often doesn't, even in young people.

• Posted

Oh crikey...no, that's a big fat NO for you then. Sorry to hear that. sad

So getting D through food is your only option really.

I know there have been reports here that cases of ricketts are making an appearance for the first time in many years, because Mums are covering their kids with lots of sun cream, and the Vit D can't get in! eek

Will keep an eye out for that prog, as yes, am from the UK

• Posted

I do take supplements as well...a multi vitamin and mineral supplement, to cover all bases. smile My diet is not so great, and my Mother had Osteoporosis, so am taking no chances. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.