Waiting for cataract surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am new and glad to have found this site. I'm having cataract surgery in March not sure why so long from now though. Eye dr says very dense cataract and not going to be routine procedure. I am very anxious and worried. Anyone had such a surgery?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have had both cataracts replaced successfulky with IOL. Prior to surgery my vision in both eyes was over 20/200 and post surgery 20/30 uncorrected!

I had three types of eye drops several times per day for a week, then two types of drops for five more weeks.

It is now more than a year for both eyes and I have no regrets.

I would ask him to define non routine. If you do not understand, continue asking questions. If he becomes short with you, find a different Opthalmologist.

• Posted

I am 40 and suffer from congenital cataracts(meaning I was born with them.) I had this surgery on both eyes when I was just 16. Unfortunately for me, because my cataracts were so dense, I am still having to have laser treatment as scar tissue from the surgery keeps growing and causing a thickening which mimics the cataract and imposes on my vision. The surgery itself went ok. I had dissolvable stitches, but the stitches in my left eye didn't dissolve properly and caused an infection and I had to have them removed under local anesthetic. I was told complications like mine are very rare and that I was just an unlucky minority.

My grandfather on the other hand, had cataract surgery in both eyes when he was in his 70's and his went without any complications. He said it was the best decision he ever made going through with the surgery.

I hope your surgery goes well. I understand the nervousness and know nothing anyone can say will completely stop the nerves, but at the end of the day, getting too nervous can make you ill and won't make the procedure outcome any different. Please keep me updated on how it goes for you

• Posted

Hi Char

All of us who have had Cataract Surgery felt the very same as you prior to the op, only you can decide, if your sight is bad you dont really have an option, especially if the cataracts are dense, are the dense in both eyes.  Prior to my ops I asked so many people about the operation and they either had it done or knew of someone who had it done and I never spoke to anybody that said it wasnt successful.  My sight in both my eyes after the op, is just great but I have tired eyes and they feel heavy all the time but I would rather have this than lose my sight, I am not using any drops because I am not good at putting them in my eyes but this isnt a problem for most people and I do think dros would help but I am happy to live with how my eyes are as I said my sight is really good now.  Please let us know what you decide and if you go ahead please let us know how you are, yes its a long time till March but waiting lists are so long that thats how it is, some people who werent happy to wait went private but that can be very expensive.  Again please let us know how your get on in March 2017.

Regards Agnes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.