waiting for diagnosis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had crunchy painful neck for a while which doc decided was wry neck. Then I lost use of my right arm and went to walk in centre. He said suspectedcervical spon as i already have arthritic feet. I am only 40. Had to go to to my gp who has referred me to orthapedics and mri. Now waiting. No idea how many weeks or months i have to wait. Arm has to mproved but other symptoms arrived. Lots of tingling in arms legs and face. Wobbly on me feet. . nwck pain keeping me up at night. Is there any point in going back to gp. I am unable to take pain medicatuon. So going wirhout. I am also a very busy teacher! The worest is not knowing how lonI have to wait. Typing bad on phone sorry.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Go back to your GP. If you lost the use of your arm, they should get you an MRI scan urgently. I found that freeze gel helped to ease the neck pain, alternating with hot packs. You can get a wheat pack to put in the microwave which you can then wrap round your neck. If this isn't practical, you can get pads which stick on and provide constant heat during the day. Or take a flask of boiling water to work and keep re-filling a small hot water bottle. Do chase up the GP though, you need to find out what is going on. Keep us bulletined.
  • Posted

I find - given the difficulty in getting appointments with GPs in the UK (I'm in London) - and having had your initial elevation - that it might be best to call and speak to the doctor (if your surgery allows that) or write a letter and take it in.  I did the latter at a point of concern and got a response.  The MRI is crucial ... and depending on that your case will be raised to the consultants ... (in which case it will be out of the GP's hands) ... or you will at least get some physiotherapy.  Good luck with it all.  It will improve with better knowledge as to the situation.  It may well be a case of severe formainal stenosis ... and once the awareness is centred you should be able to find techniques towards relief.  I know as I have this myself and, you are quite right, pain killers are of very little - if any - use.  Best wishes.  
  • Posted

Hi

I think I see what you're saying....you don't want to pester Gp when he has already put things in motion.  I think any GP would understand that if your symptoms change, as yours have, that you should report that in case the processes need to be speeded up.  Having the MRI done quickly,  so that they at least can assess the problem,  should be a priority......and not knowing when it's likely to happen can create it's own worry.   You could ask for a referral to physiotherapy,  that's usually quicker,  and they can send you for MRI immediately if they see a need.  With C/S there is a tendency to delay the processing because they can't predict how symptoms will progress.  

• Posted

Thanks, i forgot to add she referred me to physio at the same time. Heard nothing either. But in fareness it has only been a couple of weeks. I am now on the computer so can type better now. I forgot to add that I also have weird moments that i find difficult to describe. Its not dizziness, its not feeling faint, the nearest is it feels like the floor is moving, but the feeling is in my head. Gerry you are right, i dont want to waste the GP time as things are in motion. I use an electric heat pad morning and night.  I am unable to take oral antiinflammatories due to a sensitive stomach. Paracetamol weirdly makes me constipated, so i will take it if i really have to but i just seem to build up my pain tolerance!  Meunier, I like the idea of writing a letter to the gp to hand in. I think i will do that. Then i am informing them but dont feel like i am being annoying. Due to teaching getting time to visit or call is difficult. I am hopefully about to get a new job which might also help this condition.
    • Posted

The Physio appt.  should come thru' fairly quickly....but things do get lost in post etc. !   Letter to GP shouldn't be a problem.   Tell Physio  about the 'wobbly feet' bit,  and that should encourage some fast-tracking to MRI and Neuro.  Any 'dizzyness' or 'fainting' sensations need to be assessed because,  although it's quite common with C/S,  it can also point to a vulnerability to stroke.

I'm glad your typing improved on PC...was a bit concerned about Teacher/spelling issue !!

Good luck

• Posted

Yes. I did realise that.  But it raised an ethical question for me.  Are 'pre-excused' typing mistakes,  made on phone, really acceptable if, when using a PC, they wouldn't be acceptable  ?   Is that fair ?  As someone who has to struggle with continuous texting errors, to and fro,  sometimes feeling that I'm translating from a foreign language,  when I know the texter is actually quite literate, it's just something that flags itself up.  I'm sorry that it was your text, although excused and explained, that forced my remark.  Must have been the 'teacher' thing highlighting the perceived inconsistency.  Just juggling my own perceptions !  It might just come down to the fact that mob phones are really quite inappropriate for human use !
  • Posted

Hi Kaye, I fully sympathise with what you are going through. I have cervical and lumbar spondylosis and widespread osteoarthritis plus fibro. I have pain and tingling from my shoulder all down my left arm. I have a lot of dizzy spells so if I go out, I take my stick with me to help me balance. My problems all started when I was 42 so really understand what you are going through.
  • Posted

Dropped a letter off to the GP earlier with a summary of the problems. It will either be filed or may end up with her informing the people i am being referred to that i need to be seen quicker.
  • Posted

So. Nothing much has changed other than the pain. Pain hasn't been too bad so far. But now taking paracetamol constantly due to neck pain. If my neck is slightly in the 'wrong position' I am in pain. Now it's getting me down.

• Posted

Would keep knocking on the GP's door until you get elevated for urgent physio.  Sounds like you deserve it no question ... and in this day in age you get nowt if you don't pound.  All best wishes.  
    • Posted

Thanks. Will make an appointment for as soon as I can. Doesn't help being a teacher 20 miles away from my doctor
  • Posted

Quote "if my neck is slightly in the wrong position, I'm in pain"... Boy, can I sympathize with that. You described my every day in one sentence.  Woke up early today with loads of arm pain and pins/needles at 5 am, because I slept on the wrong pillow and was in pain all day despite massage, two kinds of traction (air collar and inversion table), hot tub, stretching, muscle relaxers and pain killers.  The pain finally let up about an hour ago, thankfully.  It's like subluxation roulette, but in my case at 55 y/o, multiple discs are affected and bone spurs prevalent.  Unlike the past, when I always found a way to bounce back, now I am at a more advanced stage and looking at the future, I see a complicated fusion surgery ahead that scares me to death.  It's depressing beyond words and I try not to think about it, but other than Prolotherapy, I have tried everything over the last 25 years as my condition got worse slowly.  Sigh.
  • Posted

so, called the doctor yesterday to enquire about my referral. I had been referred to the wrong hospital (i live between three hospitals). Anyway... having found out which hospital i have been referred to I discover that they should contact me within 10 working days. I saw my doc 4 weeks ago. Trying to call the number that it gives and no one answers!!! Fantastic. Tried going through the switchboard but all the numbers i have been given dont work and they should have been open over an hour ago.
    • Posted

The UK referral system leaves a lot to be desired.  Almost like a complete disregard for the frustration and impatience they create.  Kafkaesque in the extreme.  It's spirit-breaking !
    • Posted

It gets worse.... having managed to get through to them I discover that my doctor hadn't actually made the referral!!!! So..... letter of complaint going to the gp
    • Posted

Let's pray your complaint registers.  It well and truly ought to.  May it make a substantive difference.  
    • Posted

I'd phone them...not wait for a letter to be processed.  They'll have some excuse,  but should fast-track your referral anyway.  Tell them about 'vertigo' sensations....that'll get them moving.
    • Posted

We did call and now have a referral faxed through to two different hospitals. However, we are going to follow it up with a formal complaint. I spent 7 years dealing with complaints, so it takes a lot for me to complaint. However this was just too much. I consider that i have quite serious symptoms, so any delay is just wrong. THe same doctor did the same to my husband a few months ago. I have been told by one hospital that I am likely to have to wait 2 months just to see someone. Will give it a couple of days and will then call the other hospital to get guidance on waiting times.
    • Posted

Hope it goes well.  Ultimately,  we pay the cost of the NHS,  and they take the liberty of ignoring us as the primary client.   Too big,  too unwieldy,  and way too full of their own sacred institutional management structures.  THe only consolation is knowing that they will probably become victims of the system someday themselves.  The institutions should be the flag carriers for the moral responsibilities of our society,  and still they wonder why communal responsibility appears broken at ground level.  Is it the wonderful example they set,  I wonder  ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.