waiting for TKR, now having hip pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am waiting to have a TKR on left knee, but am now suffering with bad pain in left hip, could this be associated with my knee?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes. It could be associated with it. Have you asked your doctor? Good luck with the tkr! It is good when finished.
  • Posted

In dec, I had to decide whether to address my hip or knee pain. I chose my hip first and 3 weeks ago, I had my right knee replaced. Your body is connected and all joints are affected by a misalignment. Before my first left hip replacement, I had to get surgery on my left knee. To date, I've replaced both hips and one knee. My advice is to get both knee and hip analyzed by an ortho doc. They will advise you, based on your pain and condition, which should be operated on first. You need to be in good shape to do knee rehab, it's very involved. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi ....thank your u for taking the time to respond , l am with the consultant on Monday for a follow up appointment, and also have a physio session tomorrow.

I just wish the pain was so bad, then l would be able to do more exercises - currently l am doing very little and l am worried that my leg will seize up... but l know l have to push myself !!!!

Thanks

V

• Posted

If you're holding your knee at an unnatural angle, it could be the culprit 

• Posted

Hi... I'm 1yr post op with my first TKR and ended up with a hip bursitis and constant hip pain but all xrays came back good.  I'm 5mths post op with my 2nd TKR and my hip pain is getting worse and worse all the narcs I'm on to help with knee pain don't even help to ease it and my bursitis is back to where it was causing sciatica.

Thankfully I see my surgeon tmw so hopefully he will have some answers I so hope that I don't need a new hip .. I'm too young for that as well!

Good luck with your TKR smile

• Posted

Possibly if you're holding your knee in an. Awkward position.  

• Posted

Read my link...sciatica section.  Our bodies automatically compensate for the pain and throw our hips out of alignment.  Doesn't happen to everyone...happened to me.  This is not unusual.  Ortho sent me to a chiropractor post-op.  Took two months to sesolve; I locked my SI joints.  Yes...painful and not what you want when you're already dealing with the TKR pain.  If you are truly out of alignment, you cannot ignore the problem...it just gets worse.  Chiro or PT might tell you that one leg is longer/shorter than the other.  Your "tilted" hips are causing that.  Fix it.  Some people immediate spend money on orthotics...get checked by a chiro or PT first.  Hip re-alignment is simple but it takes some time.  Meanwhile, Voltaren Gel (RX) helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.