Waiting to have right hip done. I can't bear the pain anymore

Posted , 10 users are following.

im 49 & have suffered with hip pain on & off for last 4/5 years. X Ray in 2013 showed mild arthritis. New x Ray in February 2015 showed severe advanced OA. I've had lots of scans, cts etc since February. I had a major trauma as a 7 yr old child that majorly affected the way I walk & my hips have compensated for this all my life to date. I have an extremely high pain threshold but finding in the last 2 months that no matter what I take isn't even taking the edge off it. Any advice as to the best meds to take would be so appreciated. Up til now I've been taking difene & solpadol & then doc recommended taking tradol & difene. Spoke to pharmacists today & she said take paracetamol too. I've had a really bad day pain wise & am now sorry I delayed my op for a 2nd opinion. I could be 4 weeks post op if I went for it at the time. But surgeon needs to take my other conditions into consideration before I will be happy. My body must be preparing in advance as the only way I can sleep is on my back. Normally I would be a side sleeper in the foetal position. Sorry for the rant but I'm just at the edge of my tether with pain right now. Off to take more pain meds hoping I might sleep a few hours. 

4 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Gossip

Sorry you are in so much pain and cannot really advise on pain meds as it looks as if you are already taking a lot of stuff

Are you on waiting list for hip replacement as this pain is not going to go away.

i suffered for 6 months with crippling pain pre op and the difference since my op is amazing

Hope you have a peaceful night

Kindest wishes Linda xx

• Posted

Went to see a surgeon 6 weeks ago but he didn't fill me with confidence. He just said it needs to be done & if I had nothing planned for the summer he could book me in. Privately of course..... So I decided to go for 2nd opinion & that apt not til 22nd July. Don't think I can cope with the pain that long. Gonna call his secretary on Monday to see if it can be rushed through. Normally I can cope with huge amounts of pain but today was the worst ever.
    • Posted

Hi gossip

You must really push for your op - I had to make a nuisance of myself as I could not cope with pain and I have high pain threshold

When you get to this stage there is no alternative - wish you luck with getting sorted

You will feel so different after your op - once that pain is gone you will have a new lease of life

kindest wishes and hope you have a peaceful night

Linda xx

• Posted

i was just so nervous going for 1st drs diagnoses but have now had it confirmed. I'm going to call the secretary of Dr that I've booked 2nd opinion with & if he can't fit me in any earlier than 22nd of this month I'll go ahead with original consultant. Can't sleep, move, enjoy life anymore. I have health insurance but it's not a big policy it's only covers me in some hospitals in Ireland. But I'm covered in a hi tech very modern unit where I saw the last consultant. I think I'll just bite the bullet & go for it. I'll keep u posted. Can't wait to post when I'm recovering rather than how I'm feeling now. X
    • Posted

Once you have a date you will feel that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and a goal to work towards

I cannot tell you how different I feel - so bright and happy after all that exhausting pain pre op

I really emphasise with you - pain drags you down and makes life such an effort but you will get through this

Have faith and get booked in for that op asap - put your trust in the medical people. They are wonderful - let them do their work - you won't regret it

Warm wishes Linda xx

• Posted

Thank u so much for that. When I read everybodies recovery stories it gives me so much hope. I don't normally let things get me down but I had such a bad day today. I've so miserable all day with pain. My hubby's home tomorrow as he works in uk mon-fri & I want us to have a lovely weekend. I've booked us into a spa for Sunday night as he's not back til Tuesday. Looking forward to that as it's the closest thing to a holiday until op is done. I'm so pleased to hear Ur all doing so well. I know u have a ll had bad days but that's part of the healing process. Good health & fond wishes to u all x
    • Posted

My original apt was private carol. But he dismissed worries I have about other health issues which could impact on my surgery & recovery. Which made me decide to go for a 2nd opinion. IM just trying to ensure that all is in place before I put myself under the knife 
    • Posted

I totally agree with Linda 

get it done asap. You've got us. We know what it's like not to know what to do with yourself because the pain is so bad   When nowhere is comfortable and you feel desperate. That pain will only get worse, whereas us hippies pains, might hurt like hell, but they get better every day., until hey presto gone. Amazing!! 

Hope you enjoy your break

hang in there😬😬😬😬😬😬😬

lots bs of love carol xx

• Posted

You can always check the surgeons history on the net. I might be stating the obvious, but I looked mine up and read about his success rate. Also gives you a list of all surgeons in your area. Perhaps then you could find one that would be more sympathetic to your other concerns

hope you have a good night

carol💖x

• Posted

Thanx so much for all the replies tonight. IT has made me so much happier to know there are others out there looking out for me & I see how Ur all there for each other after ther op. Can't wait for the date now. I'm scanned, Mri, x Ray, ct scans out of it now & at least my oncologist gave me the all clear it's not metastatic cancer in the bones. So I can move on & make that final call for the op. It's just wonderful to see how Ur all there for each other. I'll keep in touch & let u know how it's going next week. Thank you all again x
  • Posted

Hi gossip, sorry to hear yr n such pain, I too was in incredible pain had my op two weeks ago .

the doc gave me morphine patches they last 7 days then you change them they worked reAlly well for me. Maybe they will for you. The other thing that helped me was a hot water bottle.

kaye

• Posted

thank you Kaye. They tried me on morphine patches & they didn't help either. I'll just have to get surgery rushed through if at all possible. But I want to make sure that my other health issues will be looked after at the same time. I'm on an anti biotic for infected foot ulcers since today so a surgeon wouldn't touch me at the minute until that clears up. What keeps me going is this forum where I hear great recovery stories. I know everyone has some issues regarding pain, swelling, etc. I just want it done at this stage & to move on with my life. Thank u for replying x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.