waking up threw the night every 1-2 hours help?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello, ive been having sleep issues for around 2 years so have tried alot of the tablets that they try and give you but still nothing i need some help!

​ive got depression and have had it for over 2years now and also have had some issues with my stomach so when i first started having trouble with sleep (waking up every 1-2hours everynight) they decide to put me on tablets that would help with depression and anxity that would make me sleepie and i tried a few of these then the doctor said it could be down to my stomch acid (i have stomach troubles which now have had an operation for) so it turns out it wasnt the stomach acid and i tryed zopiclone of my partener to see if that would help me get 1 nights worth of sleep and only got me of to sleep but still wasnt able to stay asleep and seems none of the tablets i have tryed or sleeping habbits ive changed has worked for me and i cant keep going on like this i need my sleep and with being poorly and recovering for a stomach operation you need it all the more has anybody got a clue why my body is doing this?

​and doctors wont try me on anything eles cause its pointless and they just suggest cbt therpy but massive waiting list

​so help needed badly??

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Cody, you say you wake up every 1-2 hours, but you don't say whether you're able to go back to sleep each time. A normal sleep cycle for most people is one-and-a-half hours. Everyone comes at least partially to the surface between sleep cycles and some of us wake totally each time. I'm one of the latter group. I've woken three or four times a night for as long as I can remember. Sometimes I get up to go to the toilet, other times I just take a drink of water from the bottle I keep beside my bed. Then I go back to sleep.

I realise your problem might be a bit more serious than this if it's connected with depression. However, waking every hour or so throughout the night shouldn't be a problem in itself if you're able to get back to sleep again. The idea that we're all supposed to get 7 or 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep is a myth.

• Posted

Iyaa yeah I wake up get a drink go toilet look on my phone then I go back too sleep sometimes it can be between 30-1hour that I'm awake each times and I wake up 2times a night too 4 night depends if it's a bad night, and I just want to be able to like everyone I know but I can't for some reason and it gets really frustrating cause I'm beyond tired in the day and I'm not able to sleep threw the day as well

• Posted

Doesn't sound to me as if there's anything seriously wrong, Cody. Daytime tiredness can be due to all kinds of causes, including anxiety, but waking a couple of times in the night isn't one of them. Teenagers often experience a lot of tiredness during the day too. I'm wondering how old you are. As long as you're getting back to sleep without any problems after your awakenings you really don't have to worry about that.

You say you want to be like everyone you know, and I can understand that, especially if you're very young - which I suspect is the case. However, the only difference is that you and I remember our night-time awakenings whereas most people don't. It's as simple as that. It's a bit like dreaming. Some people say they never dream, but if you put them in a sleep lab and wake them up during a period of REM sleep, they'll remember their dream. In the same way, most people think they don't wake up in the night, but a night in the sleep lab will show they awaken at least partially at regular intervals.

And one other thing - there's no need to check your phone every time you wake up. Research has shown that the type of light emitted by devices of this kind can have a profound effect on the quality of sleep if they're used during the night or immediately before going to bed. Turn your phone off or leave it in another room. The sky won't fall if you don't access your facebook account or whatever for 8 hours!cheesygrin

• Posted

im 20

​and im deffiently awake haha im 100% sure of that but it doesnt make any sense for 2 years or over i have been like this and nothing seems to help even if i woke up once a night id be happy and its not everytime i wake up that i do check my phone its only if im awake for long peroid of time  as it does make my eyes heavy and haha i know i can go without im really not like most young adults my ages im hardly glued to it well not as bad as the avrage person

• Posted

Hi Cory,

Something very similar is happening with me. It started about 9months ago that my sleep pattern started changing. Then after an unfortunate life event, my depression and anxiety became so strong that it started effecting every night. Some nights I wake up every hour and stay awake for 1-2hrs. Which sucks! I can't just doze of like I used to. I started taking anxiety medication celexa a week ago, it helps with my depression during the day. It lifted the fog. But not yet with the sleep at night. Big part of the problem is that I feel the anxiety about the past and it's stronger during the night time. I get frustrated at people who were involved. I'm pregnant so I can't take my herbal supplements, like GABA, l-theanine, valerian root, kawa kawa.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.