Walking

Posted , 15 users are following.

Morning hippies and hippies to be!

just a quick question... How is everyone learning to walk again? I'm 5 weeks today and yesterday I managed to walk up and down my stairs without crutches "normal" taking proper steps, a little hard coming up but never the less! But my problem now is how do you shake this blinking penguin walk or should I say waddle? 

It's driving me insane!

happy Tuesday everybody 

linzi x

6 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Linzi

It's a good feeling isn't it??  My physio had me taking steps up and down last week and so now I am up and down stairs as 'normal'.  

But re your walk/waddle - is it the operated leg that you're going lower/over on?  And is that because it's actually a leg length thing, or is it that you're not feeling so confident on that leg, do you think?  

Worth finding out whether it might be not a leg thing really.... again talking to my physio, he said that pre-op I had been 'walking with my back' rather than my bad hipped leg - using the back to swing the leg round... and that I would have to 'learn to walk again' using the leg/hip properly....

• Posted

Hi neil

not sure about the length thing, I actually think my legs are the same length now, I'm thinking maybe scared to walk on it, not sure really! (Not much help am I?) 

im not in pain so wondering if I just need to learn to walk again....

linzi 

• Posted

Hi there,

i had had the penguin waddle. My physio and arthroplasty nurse at six week check suggested an exercise bike to strengthen everything. I invested in one (a little sceptically). Five days in from using it the waddle was gone. I am 5 months now and use it every day. I feel powerful lol. I started with a very low resistance and for about three minutes and built up from there. 

Good luck with your recovery

catrin

• Posted

Good advise there.My daughter has one that she doesn't use so it may have to come to my house.
    • Posted

Hi catrin 

i borrowed a exercise bike before my op ready for post op, as a cyclist I want to be back riding within 3 months, but I was waiting to get all clear from consultant next week to start exercising on the static bike... 

Linzi x

• Posted

Hi catrin 

how long did you excersise for each day on the bike? I'm worried I maybe over do it? I've had two days on my excersise bike now...

thanks linzi x

• Posted

Hi there. I started out doing ONE minute which was all i could manage and built up slowly over a numbers of days until i was at about seven mins on level four of rhe bike - thats when it started to make a difference. Take it slowly but steadily and do it everyday dont forget to have the seat fairly high so as not to compromise the 90 degree thing too much.

Good luck with it. I found it a great help and now at five months plus im feeling powerful

Catrin

• Posted

I've just posted a question on walking too. I'm 4 weeks post op and can only do a few steps without crutches and even those are where I can hold on if I want too. This is where it would have been great to have weekly physio input. I asked for it through gp nearly two weeks ago but nothing yet.

I havent tried stairs without normally yet. If been doing them the after op way for weeks pre op so have a lot of learning to do.

• Posted

Hi

i couldn't walk at 4 weeks only a few steps, it's kinda come over night this walking! 

I walked out to my yard this morning without crutches, I've had no physio either....

• Posted

!

18 days post op walking 3-4 km most days with just a walking stick, also having to try and learn how to walk again after a couple of years of penquin waddle, have a full length mirror at end of hallway and it allows me to check my gait

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.